Notices

I could use some help

Old 05-17-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I could use some help

Hello,
Thank you for taking time to read my post. I'll get straight to the point. My friend (39 yr old male) has been taking Suboxone for 5 yrs. He is at his breaking point and has finally decided he is done. He was taking 8mg as of 5-14-14, and has not taken one since. His withdrawals are just starting. I need to know what I can do to help him. I have a degree in psychology, but I have never focused on addictions; I have spoken with several A&D therapist, but none have given me any answers I can apply in this situation. I believe people that have been through this can better help me to help my friend. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time and support.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(edited) Sorry, I didn't read correctly.

He could use a medical eval. We can't give any medical advice on this forum.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He is refusing any professional help...I agree with you and I am a little scared for him because of this. But he will not consider medical interventions....
Old 05-17-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If things get really rough, please don't hesitate to contact emergency services for the benefit of your friend
Old 05-17-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh, also, my addiction was alcohol so I can't give you any of my ESH that might help - sorry! I've been sober for nearly 16 months now so I know that it is possible.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If it gets that bad I'll call 911 on his big butt. How much danger could he be in? He is a big guy, probably 275 lbs. He has been having issues with his heart lately; he says he heart will race and he can't catch his breath. What he describes sounds like a panic attack. This all started a few months ago; way before he started his cold turkey detox. I really need all the help I can get. Feel free to private message me or I can give you my personal email. I know you can't give medical advice; anything shared is strictly opinion and I would never fault anyone for offering an opinion.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by livenlove View Post
He is refusing any professional help...I agree with you and I am a little scared for him because of this. But he will not consider medical interventions....
Then your choice is to either watch him get to the point he wants help and gets it, watch as he returns to using, or watch as he works through it on his own. All these things are for him to do, not you.

If you are trained in psychology, you know this is on him, right?

He didn't hire you to fix him, did he? Unless you see him struggling for his life, and feel he is going to die, let him be.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

He is also addicted to alcohol; he drinks 12-24 beers daily. He wants to quit that too, but I convinced him he has to do one at a time. I am afraid he is about to be in bad shape.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, I know support is all I can offer. But I would like some advice on what to watch for, or somethings that have helped others. Maybe I don't even know exactly what I'm looking for.
He is not just a friend, he is my brother-in-law and the family expects me to be the one to help him. I know it's on him, and I have told them all that. Sometimes the support system needs some support....
Old 05-17-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by livenlove View Post
He is also addicted to alcohol; he drinks 12-24 beers daily. He wants to quit that too, but I convinced him he has to do one at a time. I am afraid he is about to be in bad shape.
He probably will be in bad shape. It will last for a long time, too.

Your fears are your fears. You are right to be concerned, but there is nothing you can do about it. I would steer clear from giving any advice at all, unless he asked me for it - which I'm guessing is not likely.

What is your relationship to this guy? Acquaintance? Boyfriend?
Old 05-17-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
He probably will be in bad shape. It will last for a long time, too.

Your fears are your fears. You are right to be concerned, but there is nothing you can do about it. I would steer clear from giving any advice at all, unless he asked me for it - which I'm guessing is not likely.

What is your relationship to this guy? Acquaintance? Boyfriend?
He is my Brother-in-law.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Livenlove - how are things going? How is your BIL? Sorry I've not been around, but have had a very busy week and not been online much....

I'm here holding your hand (virtually) and hoping that you are both OK.