Working the ACoA Big Book Steps - Step TWO

Old 05-16-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Working the ACoA Big Book Steps - Step TWO

Hi, guys. I am a little early on this post because I have a crazy, busy weekend ahead of me. Anyway, here goes:

Step Two: We came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

Luckily, for me, this is not a hard step. I know this step trips a lot of people up and keeps a lot of people away from trying the twelve step programs. I actually love this part of the steps! I consider myself a spiritual person. (not religious) I was raised in a protestant Christian church. I no longer attend church, but I don't have anything against churches either. I just don't feel a need for church (or temple or whatever else - in my opinion, there are many paths to God) to connect with my higher power. I have always relied of my faith heavily throughout my life, although my idea of and my relationship to my higher power has changed considerably as I have aged, gotten sober and matured in my thinking. I rely on my higher power on a daily basis, for sometimes even the tiniest of things. I used to think I had to come up with all of the answers (control issues, anyone??) and then pray for those answers to come true. Now, I look more forward as to what God has in store for me. In short, I trust more and I try not to look too far ahead. My faith comes from seeing how the Universe has taken care of my life so far, and even events that I had judged to be terrible things, often turned out to be the events that created the best changes and outcomes of my life.

What are your thoughts on Step 2??
Old 05-17-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me this step has been a relief. Someone on the step one thread posted about planning, lists, predictions, etc. they gave the example of a camping trip. I've been on that camping trip many times, though it may have come in the form of a family "vacation" or even just a trip to the store.
My family was very invested in making dire doomsday predictions for the outcome of any situation. It was always a worst case scenario and was made to seem almost inevitable.
Step 2 has freed me from the need to overplan, project outcomes or try to control every external factor in order to avoid a theoretical disaster. For me the higher power doesn't have to be necessarily religious. It is enough for me to understand that I am not responsible for every outcome, for other people's enjoyment. I cannot and do not need to try to manipulate and control every outcome so that things are "perfect".
Saw a great quote on the f&f section. "God does not need me to direct all the traffic in the universe today."
Step 2 for me is about freedom, and being able to enjoy what IS, without worrying about what might or could or should be.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I like the attitude the two of you have regarding this step. For me, I have a better relationship with God but its a work in progress. I dont like giving up control even though I have learned that the more I focus only on my side of things not only the greater peace I have, but the better my relationships are.

I still at times struggle with old teachings and attitudes regarding God so I almost feel as if a relationship with him can only be all or nothing. I am certainly open to learning more and looking to all who are willing to share their beliefs and experiences. That is a big change for me. I have often been an all or nothing kind of person. This particular step will be one I come back to reread for inspiration.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have a God of my own understanding. One I found initially through the 12 steps of AA. I once thought there was no God but I came to believe that in fact it was just that I had no understanding of what the God of My own understanding is...

I have found recently a book 'conversations with god' which has given me greater understanding and I'm open to the idea that greater understanding is possible.

As was suggested in another thread, closely linked to this series, reading the step backwards seems like a good idea. So with an open mind my search for a full definition of my insanity is in full flight...

What I have as a definition as I type this is; My insanity is closely linked to my need to search for acceptance & love whilst secretly not feeling good enough or loveable.

My insanity is my inability to leave behind behaviours that don't work, that I can't stop my obsessions (except alcohol), I can mask my control issues by manipulations, that I can't identify (always) how I feel.

That's where I am today in respect of this step. I will come back to it once I have more clarity.

A mentor of mine once said: Step 2 is a destination (sanity) arrived at by taking steps 3 to 9. I can see how this is so in respect of my AA steps and I hope the same to be true of the steps in ACA.

LiF

Mako

Last edited by makomago; 05-19-2014 at 07:09 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-19-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
Hi, guys. I am a little early on this post because I have a crazy, busy weekend ahead of me. Anyway, here goes:

Step Two: We came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

Luckily, for me, this is not a hard step. I know this step trips a lot of people up and keeps a lot of people away from trying the twelve step programs. I actually love this part of the steps! I consider myself a spiritual person. (not religious) I was raised in a protestant Christian church. I no longer attend church, but I don't have anything against churches either. I just don't feel a need for church (or temple or whatever else - in my opinion, there are many paths to God) to connect with my higher power. I have always relied of my faith heavily throughout my life, although my idea of and my relationship to my higher power has changed considerably as I have aged, gotten sober and matured in my thinking. I rely on my higher power on a daily basis, for sometimes even the tiniest of things. I used to think I had to come up with all of the answers (control issues, anyone??) and then pray for those answers to come true. Now, I look more forward as to what God has in store for me. In short, I trust more and I try not to look too far ahead. My faith comes from seeing how the Universe has taken care of my life so far, and even events that I had judged to be terrible things, often turned out to be the events that created the best changes and outcomes of my life.

What are your thoughts on Step 2??
To Doubledragons et all,

I know I am slow to act on Step On and please accept my apology. My Granddaughter's La Crosse Tournament this weekend as well as my other (oldest) Granddaughter's Confirmation (Catholic Church) have kept me so busy and today I am moving very slow. I am 68 and today I feel it.

I have read the posts on this thread and relate so well. The posts are inspiring as well and what I can relate to Oh So Well! I look forward to doing these steps for ACOA for the second time. I am also active in AA.

Please give me one more day and I can do Step One and Step Two as I will have more time tomorrow. God Bless, Ipanema
Old 05-21-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am no stranger to God, having been raised Roman Catholic, however I don't go to church. I related to the above post because I, too, have all too often used prayer to request what I want. I'm a newbie to trusting what is, but am learning in recovery from my alcoholism to accept what is. This step will be a long process for me.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

To DoubleDragons. On Step Two:

I was also raised in the Catholic Church and rarely missed a Sunday. Back then it was a venial sin to miss Church (the olden days). The concern/terror about sin and being punished by a variety of unknown punishers kept me going. My Parents sometimes missed. I went with my Dad if at all possible. I had undiagnosed Caustraphobia and my Dad just helped me if I fainted. My Mother made me feel guilty and said I was faking for attention. She was a fun person....#$%#$%#@$.

So, I had no trouble with the concept of a Higher Power. For me, I have the triple protection of God, Son and Holy Goast. As I get older I rely on my Higher Power(3) for the tinest, small, medium and large events and concerns. It works! I try to stay in the now and let the Higher Powers take away my fears. The more I do it, the easier it gets. I turn it over for finding a parking place, helping me not to overshop, not to spend too much time worrying, etc. etc.

The turning it over is not to be taken lightly for me. It is combined with good Counseling from a lovely man for at least 10 years, once a week, no matter where I am be, even Overseas! I truly believe God/HP found Him for me many years ago when I was ready to seek into Insanity over my job and other concerns. I found him in the Phone Book, of all things. Even tho he is a male I talk about everything to him. Some weeks I need two sessions. All this is covered by Medicare. Thank You God

I have so much faith in my HP that I believe that keeping in close contact will help me make some major health decisions (a surgery coming up) as to whether to return to my home (my wishes) or stay with relatives (doctor's suggestion).

I look forward to the comments here on SR on Step Two. I believe also that Step Two and Three are so intertwined that I have to talk about them somewhat together. But I will do a Step Three after I see other comments about it. I am sure I will be inspired. Ipanema