Notices

First week sober in 10 years

Old 05-16-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First week sober in 10 years

So here's my story. I'm 32 and have been drinking since I was 19. From about 22 until recently it was pretty heavy. Unlike a lot of people I see I never (maybe once a year) got wasted. I VERY VERY rarely ever drank to the point of vomiting or passing out (once again...maybe once a year, at most).

What I did do, however, was come home every day after work and get a nice Sid deep buzz going. My poison of choice was wine...boxed wine. I'd go through a box about every 2.5-3 days. Unless it was a weekend when I was kid free, then a box would barely last me 2 days. Every night when I went to sleep it was always blissfully buzzed.

I was always a very high functioning alcoholic. No DWI's. I never drank at work and only missed work a few times do to drinking. I guess I was so used to being constantly hung over and dehydrated that it didn't bother me too much.

Skip ahead to about 2 weeks ago. I decide I need to cut down on my drinking significantly because it was really starting to slow me down. No energy, no motivation. Everything was planned around drinking. Go out and do something fun at 7pm? Nope, I'm already blissfully drunk by then. Anyway, so I cut down my drinking big time. A beer after work and two cups (solo cups, not wine glasses) of wine before bed. I felt proud of myself.

I also started feeling shaky and confused at work. Disoriented. Thought maybe I was diabetic. So, 10 days ago I was at work, feeling horrible and almost fainted twice. Went to the ER and explained to them my drinking habits and was diagnosed with alcohol withdrawal. I was prescribed medication to taper off and it's working wonderfully.

I thought maybe I could get by with a cold beer after work every day so I bought a 6 pack last Friday. And instead of one I drank all 6. That was the last alcohol I've had. By 11 tonight I'll be sober (zero alcohol) for an entire week.

Physically I feel great! I'm still on the tapering off Meds but I'm full of energy and love waking up in the mornings! I've decreased my caloric intake by thousands a day so I'm losing weight. And my skin has really cleared up. Only thing that hasnt is my eyes...they're still pink rimmed.

My problem is this: I'm bored senseless now! I've been keeping busy, started going to various church groups, etc, but when I'm home alone I want to drink sooooo bad. How do you cope with this? I'm convinced I can't be a normal drinker so it looks like it's going to be full on abstinence for me.

Anyway, this is my first post and hope it's not too long! I'll keep checking out this forum for inspiration and support!
Old 05-16-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR JTtexas

D
Old 05-16-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, thank you
Old 05-16-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober weeks! And welcome to the SR family. I'm glad you joined us. You'll find a lot of support and useful info here.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Well done for seeing a doctor! The 6 pack was what I call "I think one beer will be fine" NOT! why have just one while I can have 6?

I Related to the boxed wine, bad camping memories for me, or should I say week long hangovers with more on top to keep withdrawal at bay.

Glad you are here and sound uplifted, keep posting, keep smiling ;-)
Old 05-16-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats, JT. About the boredom question, just curious, what did you do to pass the time when you were drinking? What are your interests? I know how stuff you did when you were drinking doesn't always seem as interesting sober. . .like I said, just curious. . .
Old 05-16-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the positive feed back!

As far as the boredom, it didn't matter what I was doing. Reading a book, watching tv, surfing the net, getting my news fix. It was always while drinking. Now when I do these things I actually find myself reaching for that cup that's no longer there. I guess I'm so used to coming home and just drinking that I don't know how to handle just doing "nothing" or "relaxing" sober.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So far LOTS of water (always totally hydrated now), coffee and cigarettes have helped. Sadly I'm chain smoking like crazy now but I'm taking this thing one vice at a time.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on your week sober! Hold on to those feel good feelings....they can get you through some cravings if you keep reminding yourself of the benefits of sobriety.

Regarding the boredom...I did lots of home projects/spring cleaning when I quit over a tear ago. When I was drinking, I had let so much go...the house, myself! See if you can find some projects to keep busy.

I was the same...hardly ever drunk, but also hardly ever sober! Just kept myself steady with a slow and steady intake of booze starting in the morning before work up til bedtime. I didn't have any problems with the law, almost always went to work, didn't have relationship problems, but the booze would have still killed me sooner or later just the same.

Keep up the good work, and keep enjoying those sober feelings!
Old 05-16-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you JTtexas! I like your attitude

Congratulations on your 1 week sober. I agree, the mornings are wonderful - not waking up fuzzy or filled with regret.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi JT - welcome to SR! You will find lots of great suggestions here regarding the "boredom" we all seem to hit. When it strikes, find something to do - anything. But, drinking is not an option. What we don't realize when we decided we want to be sober, that we have a lot of changes to deal with in our lives. But, the changes we make will make our lives better. At the time, they seem like a struggle. But, the way I look at it, is if you want it....it's worth the work. You want to have a nice yard. So, you work at it. It just doesn't happen. You work up the dirt, plant the seed, water it, weed it, etc. But when months go by, and you see the results of your hard work, it makes you feel good that you accomplished this.

Congratulations on 1 week - don't be a stranger. Reach out when you need to. There are a lot of great people here.

Have a wonderful, sober weekend!
Old 05-16-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great first post JTtexas. You are off to an excellent start. Keep reading. Keep posting. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good going on your first week JJ. Boredom is very normal for the first few months. For me booze always provided that quick jump start to a good mood and I felt like I was doing something. in reality your just wasting time and damaging your body. After a few months my body finally slowed down inside And I could relax not needing anything to stimulate me.
Its a great feeling...stay strong and you will see it one day.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey JT. I'm in the same place you are. This is my first week too. But I am off work this week at my mothers. I don't drink around her so it's like "Mom rehab". I've been thinking about when I go home how hard it's going to be right after work at first. I always go home and straight for the beer or wine. Trust me it's still hard this week. Tonight I went to Chili's to pick up to go food for us and saw the people sitting at the bar. Man did craving kick in. But I got my food and got out of there and didn't dwell on the drinking thinking so I was fine. My plan is when I get home to get on here every night and stay busy. I just really don't want to live like that anymore. This isn't my first go round either. It's harder every time. Thanks for posting!
Old 05-17-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good plan! My apartment has been so neglected and barely cleaned so I'm going to check in on here after work and spend a few hours cleaning. My "problem" time is like 4pm to 9pm.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Magsie

Know what you mean JT, I'd come in from work most days and start on the wine.
When I stopped it took a while to adjust to what to do.

I too had neglected things around the house so that's what I'm catching up with, trying not to rush as I'm one for running before I can walk and that doesn't work for me with sobriety, just one step in front of the other.

All the best x
Old 05-17-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats on your week JT! I'm into my 3rd day of another sobriety after about a 5 month sobriety stint here last year. My return to drinking and its inevitable yet gradual decline took awhile. It was only recently that I realized I had put the booze blinders back on and life was getting smaller and smaller and smaller. I takes a while to build sobriety life up...and I had started but I killed momentum. Last night, Friday night, I didn't really do anything but what I noticed was ....time passing...time that COULD be done something with that I haven't been doing anything with in the evenings..but drink with. I ended up reading...something I haven't really done much of since my last sobriety.

We need to learn how to fill time...and I think we do as time passes and we actually notice its passage.

My legs are shaky...but that's my best guess : ) Again...congratulations.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

congrads stay strong!!!
Old 05-17-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by JTtexas View Post
So here's my story. I'm 32 and have been drinking since I was 19. From about 22 until recently it was pretty heavy. Unlike a lot of people I see I never (maybe once a year) got wasted. I VERY VERY rarely ever drank to the point of vomiting or passing out (once again...maybe once a year, at most).

What I did do, however, was come home every day after work and get a nice Sid deep buzz going. My poison of choice was wine...boxed wine. I'd go through a box about every 2.5-3 days. Unless it was a weekend when I was kid free, then a box would barely last me 2 days. Every night when I went to sleep it was always blissfully buzzed.

I was always a very high functioning alcoholic. No DWI's. I never drank at work and only missed work a few times do to drinking. I guess I was so used to being constantly hung over and dehydrated that it didn't bother me too much.

Skip ahead to about 2 weeks ago. I decide I need to cut down on my drinking significantly because it was really starting to slow me down. No energy, no motivation. Everything was planned around drinking. Go out and do something fun at 7pm? Nope, I'm already blissfully drunk by then. Anyway, so I cut down my drinking big time. A beer after work and two cups (solo cups, not wine glasses) of wine before bed. I felt proud of myself.

I also started feeling shaky and confused at work. Disoriented. Thought maybe I was diabetic. So, 10 days ago I was at work, feeling horrible and almost fainted twice. Went to the ER and explained to them my drinking habits and was diagnosed with alcohol withdrawal. I was prescribed medication to taper off and it's working wonderfully.

I thought maybe I could get by with a cold beer after work every day so I bought a 6 pack last Friday. And instead of one I drank all 6. That was the last alcohol I've had. By 11 tonight I'll be sober (zero alcohol) for an entire week.

Physically I feel great! I'm still on the tapering off Meds but I'm full of energy and love waking up in the mornings! I've decreased my caloric intake by thousands a day so I'm losing weight. And my skin has really cleared up. Only thing that hasnt is my eyes...they're still pink rimmed.

My problem is this: I'm bored senseless now! I've been keeping busy, started going to various church groups, etc, but when I'm home alone I want to drink sooooo bad. How do you cope with this? I'm convinced I can't be a normal drinker so it looks like it's going to be full on abstinence for me.

Anyway, this is my first post and hope it's not too long! I'll keep checking out this forum for inspiration and support!

Hi and welcome, I found the boredom the hardest part of quitting to be honest, the first few weeks I was pacing looking for something to do.
But like anything else time goes on no matter how you fill the void, you are off to a good start with the first week in the bag, well done you.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Books, DVD's and early nights , will help whilst you gather up all you need to decide which hobbies, that can fill the gap even planning holidays and realising you might be able to actually afford with ease.
Good luck, don't be too amazed if the disorientation appears before going again.
Keep going with week two.
I can only say that suddenly time takes over and the boredom leaves.
John.