Notices

$$$$$$

Old 05-16-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb $$$$$$

Preface: I am fully aware of the more significant reasons to quit drinking forever;
but for now, if I may, let's talk about cash.
Before I go any further, please let me say I try not to be materialistic as best as I possibly can.
However, the bills keep a'rollin' in, sometimes very unexpectedly. I can stare at the night sky, wildlife, a cloud or an insect and be in awe.
(Those new Corvettes look pretty nice too).
That being said, let's do some basic math and tally up funds saved from not drinking.
I don't intend this to represent a regretful look at the past.
Rather, I consider it a good dose of reality to promote recovery.
I will use an approximate yearly $ amount from my own recent
expenditure as an example.

$ spent during an average week's personal consumption = $100.00 / week = $5200.00 / year.
$ spent during a year's time stocking up for holiday gatherings = $600.00 / year.
$ spent at social events and miscellany during a year's time = $1200.00 / year.

$5200.00 + $600.00 + $1200.00 = $7000.00 / year.
This figure is only my guesstimate and probably less than what it actually is.
I have only focused on the money spent purchasing alcohol, not possible incidents regarding damages, injuries, legal fees, etc.
($7000.00) x (too many years) = the equivalent of winning a decent lotto prize.
Now I truly understand the definition of "found money"
Anyone care to do some math?
Old 05-16-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's like an instant raise. And if you throw in smoking less or even quitting, its even more significant.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

lunar, I did that same exercise in January. I wasted 1/4 mil on alcohol/related over 20 years.

Now for the big news: I lost close to 2 mil in projected earnings for the next 6-8 years.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been spending about £45 per week on alcohol. Omg that's terrible writing it down (I buy it separately so it's never that much in one go. That's £2,340 a year!!!! That's shocking, no wonder I'm always skint right before pay day.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was spending 10 to 30 dollars a day on wine. Money I didn't really have to spend. Thank God I no longer have that problem.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

When I first started to take getting sober seriously I had compiled $111,000 in debt due to a bad crack problem and paying my dealers rent with checks that came out of my credit card accounts. I am down considerably from that high... No pun intended.... But I understand what can be spent on addiction.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Between the beer and cigarettes I was spending almost $90 a week, I've been smoke free since November, but with the beer I've still been spending about $50 a week. Money I literally didn't have. There were two or three nights my son would only have water to drink...but I had my beer...until I reminded myself that was completely freaking unacceptable
Old 05-16-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was spending about $50-$70 per week on vodka and wine, not including whatever alcoholic beverage I might order when we were out to dinner somewhere. This past week I bought some new make up instead, and it was a great feeling!
I don't even want to do the maths to figure out how much per year I was throwing away...
Old 05-16-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was dropping $100.00 per week on beer easily.
I buy dope (tobacco) by the 5# bag and roll my
own. Imagine how I can put that money to
much better use!
Old 05-16-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Bottle of whisky every 2nd night and an afternoon of beer watching sport every Saturday.

Easily $100 per week!!
Old 05-16-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I spend more in terms of cigs as well.

To much to try giving both up at the same time? Haven't had one today as I know it'd make me feel rough (er)
Old 05-16-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I forget the amount I calculated in early sobriety, but it was embarrassing.

You might want to add in there takeaway food / extravagant dinners purchased while drunk and recovery junk food. I'd also add that often in hangover mode, not only would I buy junk food, I'd buy extra because I couldn't make my mind up which one I wanted or possibly would turn my stomach when I got home.

Big Mac vs Filet? Bugger it, I'll buy both.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Along the same lines but sort of a flip side to how much you've spent... there's actually an iPhone app for sobriety (I think it's called "I am Sober") and you can put in your sobriety date and how much you were spending per week and it tells you how much you've saved since you quit. On days where I question if I have a problem I look at how much I've saved in the past two months (hundreds upon hundreds) and it keeps me grounded in a sense.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I always appreciate this topic (along with the how many wine calories did I drink per week, no wonder i had gained 40#).

I was a cheap drunk..wine at home girl towards the end...lots of wine at home...8-10 glasses a day starting right after work to my cut off time of 3AM (i get up at 5 for work). about $50.00 a week, 200.-250 a month.

first month i had enough extra to pay the utilities with no issue....and then the cable/phone/internet bill. I kept that rolling and increased my income with extra work as it was available...made double principle payments on my mortgage for 2 years, improved my credit and qualified for a very low refinance on both mortgage and car loan...along with home improvements of remodelling bathroom, replacing front door/storm door, new appliances as needed.

Sobriety is a gift that keeps on giving.