Notices

Hypochondria

Old 05-16-2014, 12:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hypochondria

As an older child I developed an over-sensitivity to the everyday aches and pains that all us humans seem to suffer. At one stage I got so worked up about it at the age of 12 or so that my parents took me to our doctor for a check-up and reassurance that all was well - which it was.

Despite that as an adult I have always it seems to me, been overly worried about my health and the aches, pains, gurgles and rumbles of my body seem to cause me more alarm than is healthy..as it were. It didn't stop me drinking of course and in fact alcohol deadened the anxiety that accompanies that sort of hypochondria - it actually relieved it.

I'm not hugely obsessive about it, but it is an issue for me in sobriety. As with most hypochondriacs, along with the anxiety goes the fear of going to a doctor and checking things out - in case 'this time' there actually is something seriously wrong!

I am wondering if this is at all common with other people with drinking problems or if it is just a particular neurosis I am unlucky to suffer from.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post
As an older child I developed an over-sensitivity to the everyday aches and pains that all us humans seem to suffer. At one stage I got so worked up about it at the age of 12 or so that my parents took me to our doctor for a check-up and reassurance that all was well - which it was.

Despite that as an adult I have always it seems to me, been overly worried about my health and the aches, pains, gurgles and rumbles of my body seem to cause me more alarm than is healthy..as it were. It didn't stop me drinking of course and in fact alcohol deadened the anxiety that accompanies that sort of hypochondria - it actually relieved it.

I'm not hugely obsessive about it, but it is an issue for me in sobriety. As with most hypochondriacs, along with the anxiety goes the fear of going to a doctor and checking things out - in case 'this time' there actually is something seriously wrong!

I am wondering if this is at all common with other people with drinking problems or if it is just a particular neurosis I am unlucky to suffer from.
I don't think it is uncommon at all, after all the damage we can do to our bodies during years of abuse may well feed that anxiety further.
If in doubt you really should get a check up if only for your peace of mind, but like I said I think many of us feel similar thoughts.
The worst thing you can ever do is ask DR Google!
Old 05-16-2014, 01:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was a hypchondriac for most of my first year.

I don't think I quite believed I got out of my addiction with 'only' the level of damage I did - it was significant but not life threatening.

It was one of the reasons I saw a counsellor.

That helped - we talked a lot about likely events versus unlikely ones...a lot like the lines presented in this article.

What is Catastrophizing? - Cognitive Distortions | Psychology Today

If your hypochondria preceded your drinking I definitely think some counselling could help Mentium?

I'm seven years sober and I'm in reasonable health. I'm not worried anymore - I've lived a dissolute life and now a focused 'good' one...

I hope I have many more years here but I'm making the most of it in any case

oh and stay off Dr Google, that guy has no bedside manner

D
Old 05-16-2014, 01:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Elaine Aron has done a lot of research on highly sensitive people. You might find that interesting. The Highly Sensitive Person
Old 05-16-2014, 01:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks all. Helpful looking links which I will take a look at after dog walkies on the beach..therapy by the sea!