Notices

The legal system

Old 05-15-2014, 03:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The legal system

I think the legal system is going to help destroy my daughter. She has been in and out of jail for Heroine use 4 times now. Warrants in 3 different counties. Her longest stay was 75 days but this last round just has me stumped....totally! Don't get me wrong - I don't want my daughter in jail but it's the only time I can sleep knowing she is off the streets. So she spent like 6 days in there waiting for court on Monday. A friend of hers got a voice mail that said they wanted to release her on a tether. He never called back or responded. I tried to call them 3 times but they wouldn't call me back. All of a sudden the Friday before court he gets a call,,,,,, FROM HER! She is in the parking lot at the jail with a tether on and said come and get me I'm out! Just like that. They never verified who he was or that she even lived there. Just through the tether on and kicked her out the door. Then comes court on Monday.......she shows up mad and being rude when they want to **** test her................then they take the tether off.......give her 3 months probation and let her go! I'm sorry but what the hell???? Ten minutes after arriving back home she was back out the door and on the streets again. I feel like they are playing games with my daughters life. She needs HELP! Can I sue the system...............before I end up having to burry her
Old 05-15-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its a sad fact of life that the criminal justice system is not set up to actually help people, just keep them locked up for period of time. Another fact about addiction is your daughter is not going to get better until she chooses sobriety for herself, and makes the changes in her life that will require. I do not think you should put your hopes in the court system, but instead should start seeking out other resources to help with your daughters problem.

Please check out the friends and family forum to connect with others in your situation, having a loved one struggle with addiction.

Best of wishes.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Better man in progress!

I dont want to sound rude but why are you waiting for the "system" to save your daughter??

Your daughter is sick and YOU, her parent, you are waiting for the governement to put her in jail?

System might be lazy i admit, but you need to get a grip and help your daughter.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

You need to get her into a rehab, pronto.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Nonnie. I can't imagine the pain you must be feeling.

It's all very well for folks here to say help her or do something ...I know the well meaning behind that, but I also remember my life as an addict - noone could do anything for me.

I needed to do it for myself.

Eventually I had a moment of clarity and I sought out help for myself. I hope your daughter will have that same moment of clarity.

Have you thought about something like Al Anon or Nar Anon for yourself Nonnie, for support from people who been through this?

You should also check out our Family and Friends forums here too :
The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com

D
Old 05-15-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hellhammer View Post
I dont want to sound rude but why are you waiting for the "system" to save your daughter??

Your daughter is sick and YOU, her parent, you are waiting for the governement to put her in jail?

System might be lazy i admit, but you need to get a grip and help your daughter.
What do you suggest she do?

We cannot hog tie our loved ones and drag them kicking and screaming into rehab.

They have to want it. I know I did. No one could have forced me to quit drinking. I had to come to that point on my own.

I hope your daughter will someday get to that point. In the meantime pray for her and yourself. It takes a lot of courage and strength to let go and hope they find a their way.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

With kindness and compassion, I don't think the criminal justice system is going to be able to take care of your daughter.

I really hope that she makes a choice to seek help for her addiction.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

nonnie - my heart aches for you. I'm teary-eyed reading your post.

My niece was a heroin addict for years and I witnessed the pain, anger, guilt, frustration and heart break my sister went through in trying to help her. It was very painful for her to realize that she could not save her daughter and to let go. There were times when the courts did offer her help, but even after court ordered rehab my niece fell back into old habits. Just as my sister couldn't make her get better, neither could the courts. Eventually my niece got in serious trouble, not just for using but for living with a dealer. She was put in a court ordered program. In time a change did happen in her and she started wanting and working on recovery. There was a time when we thought she was going to die, and there was a time when my sister cried to me and told me part of her wished my niece would die because she couldn't stand to see her daughter suffering and living this horrible existence. We pray that my niece has made it through to other side and stays there. She and my sister have both been through alot and are recovering. I will pray for the same for you and your daughter.

In the meantime, I think the best thing you can do for your daughter is maybe to get support for yourself. My sister went to Al Anon. It helped her get through the period when my niece wasn't ready to accept help, helped her to set boundaries and it gave her tools to support my niece without enabling when she was ready to get help for herself. I'll be thinking of you nonnie.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I agree here, forcing her into rehab will do no good. She will not stay sober till she wants to be.

Get some help for yourself to help you cope with this. I have kid and know that you can't help but worry but getting help in the friends and family section and Al Anon or Nar Anon may help you understand her addiction.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Any judicial system unfortunalty will fall short of the care and treatment that your daughter needs, they are primarily designed to enforce decisions by a court and secondary needs may fall well short.

However as mentioned your daughter has to want help, only she can help herself, coming from the experience of having an addiction, no one could have told me I had a problem or helped me until I admitted it myself.

Getting support for yourself could be helpful though!!
Old 05-15-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Rehabs aren't an instant cure. They're a start. I've been in 4. 2 in-patient, 2 out. A couple hundred meetings too. Took quite some time but I'm grateful for all of it; eventually it sunk in. I don't think I'd be here now without it.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sue the system over this no
But
Next time she goes before the judge
You can ask of the courts to force her into treatment or if not keep her locked up for her own good

MM
Old 05-15-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope your daughter decides to get sober and I also hope you get some support from someplace.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

oh dear
Old 05-15-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Nonnie, you need to take care of you! You cannot control another human being, or choose their fate. I can't imagine the pain that you are feeling, but I'm around the "system" all day long, and it will not be the answer unless you are filthy rich. Praying for you
Old 05-15-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I understand your frustration with this CJS.
She should have been ordered by the judge
to enter treatment or spend additional time
in jail. Does being ordered into treatment work?
More often than we think.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
You can ask of the courts to force her into treatment...
I was never forced into in-patient myself but I've heard this too, from cops that I called to help deal with my daughter's current insanity. I was just in court with her and didn't ask for this but I may next time if all else fails.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you soooooo much for your support! I am very glad I found this site and people that understand. There are a lot of people that just don't understand and that makes it hard to. I know I have to take care of "ME" and I'm trying to focus on that as best I can.
Again - thank you!
Old 05-16-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Off the top of my head, you don't have a cause of action against the court system because (1) you lack standing; (2) the courts have immunity; (3) you simply don't have a cause of action against the court system.

I have a daughter too, who is eighteen and going to college this year, so I have thought long and hard about parenting over the years. I think you get eighteen years to do the best you can in raising them and then the chips fall where they're gonna fall. You could do the best job in the universe on your end and your kid might just end up a holy terror and a risk to herself and others, and on the other hand you could be a hard and flawed man who probably lacked in numerous areas of parenting and your kid might despite all that end up a shining star.

Either way, once they hit adulthood, that parenting ship has sailed out of the harbor. You do what you can to be helpful and friendly, but if junior is hell-bent on being a crashed and burning wreck there's little you can do about it at this late stage of the game.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Venting about the system was just that.....venting. I know the system is not the answer, but they are playing games with her and me. I had a slight moment of hope when they put the tether on. Even though she was out of jail, her attitude seemed better almost promising, then 3 days later when they took it off her whole attitude changed, I could even tell in the tone of her voice. It's hard enough dealing with the stress of what she is doing......but now I also have to deal with trying to understand the screwed up system and how they are jerking her around and at the same time messing with my emotions. And just to clarify - "get a grip and help her" - if it was that easy - she would be fixed already.