Notices

Made a mistake with cough syrup

Old 05-14-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made a mistake with cough syrup

Okay so I am/was at almost 3 weeks without alcohol. For the first two it was horrible, but I've been feeling better the past few days. However, I have a horrible cough and just took some robitussin without noticing it had alcohol in it. I'm feeling buzzed and couldn't be more livid. Is the horrible anxiety that I experienced the first two weeks gonna come back as a result of the pharmaceutical industry barely labeling their products? Am I back at day one? I'm starting to get really angry with myself, the cough syrup, and my friend who got me sick. Anyone ever done anything like this/ have any reassurance?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Germany1 View Post
Okay so I am/was at almost 3 weeks without alcohol. For the first two it was horrible, but I've been feeling better the past few days. However, I have a horrible cough and just took some robitussin without noticing it had alcohol in it. I'm feeling buzzed and couldn't be more livid. Is the horrible anxiety that I experienced the first two weeks gonna come back as a result of the pharmaceutical industry barely labeling their products? Am I back at day one? I'm starting to get really angry with myself, the cough syrup, and my friend who got me sick. Anyone ever done anything like this/ have any reassurance?
Take some deep breaths. Do not let anxiety get the best of you. The buzz will wear off and you'll be okay. Now you know you cannot take cough syrup. Don't beat yourself up. You are NOT at day one. Chalk it up to experience and move on.

Hugs to you.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If your intention was to take the cough syrup purely to take care of your cough then i woudln't worry about it honestly. If you only took the recommended dosage the actual amount of alcohol you consumed is very small - much less than even a single drink.

I would recommend being more careful about reading the labels though- it's pretty common knowledge that cough syrup contains alcohol.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I doubt the buzz is from the alcohol- it is from destramacmorphin. sp.

Regift that item to someone who can use it.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am with the others: just dump it and since you took it in good faith for cough and not to get buzzed you are not at day 1. Just be more careful in the future and read the labels on OTC drugs. Also be careful with mouthwash: some has alcohol in it.
Lesson learned and move in on and moving forward into your 4th week sober
I hope you feel better soon, bronchitis sucks.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

How much did you take?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

2 tablespoons, I definitely physically feel/felt the effects. It just irritates me because I've grudgingly turned down more drinks in these past few weeks than I can count and then this happens. Does anyone think there's a possibility of me experiencing physical withdraw in a few hours because of this. I know it was a small amount, but I honestly feel like it kind of physically (not mentally) set me off track.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Germany1 View Post
2 tablespoons, I definitely physically feel/felt the effects. It just irritates me because I've grudgingly turned down more drinks in these past few weeks than I can count and then this happens. Does anyone think there's a possibility of me experiencing physical withdraw in a few hours because of this. I know it was a small amount, but I honestly feel like it kind of physically (not mentally) set me off track.
Most OTC cough medicines are well under 10% alcohol, many are under 5%. So in reality you drank the equivalent of about 1/10th of one drink - or pretty much nothing. I would guess the effects you are feeling are from the other active ingredients.

So look at it for what it is - you made a mistake and accidentally ingested a minute amount of alcohol.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's not a big deal unless you allow it to be a big deal. Or an excuse to say the heck with it.

I was terribly sick last year and one of the medications I was told to take had a small amount of alcohol. Didn't even realize it until last week when I was cleaning the drawer I keep all that junk in.

Breath.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

You made a mistake. Try not to dwell on it. Use a non-alc cough mixture.

and yeah...read the labels from now on...as a consumer I've always felt it's my responsibility to find out all I can about what I put in my body.

D
Old 05-14-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by Received View Post
It's not a big deal unless you allow it to be a big deal.
Yep.

Oops, I'm being an echo
Old 05-14-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How are you doing?