having problems finding a psychologist

Old 05-13-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

having problems finding a psychologist

I'm on the waiting list for one psychologist and one licensed counselor. The psychologist recommended by our doctor hasn't called me back yet. Other ones I've reached also have full schedules and also 'aren't a good fit' because they don't deal with addictions. I appreciate them being honest about that, yet I need to start somewhere. There aren't a lot of psychologists in our area; so far I've called 2+ hours away. A friend of mine from family week is in another state and has the same problem. I need to vent. Any ideas appreciated.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This may vary by state, but a licensed social worker might be an option. They do mental health counseling here in IA and some of them have specialized addiction training.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Call a rehab and ask them. Also call the medical board for your town. Call a church with a celebrate recovery and speak to the ministry lrader, thats wherr we found my dd's counselor. Alanon meetings csn likely tell you. Just some thoughts, good luck!
Old 05-13-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have you tried just googling addiction therapists in your area? That's how I found mine.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have to say I am so sorry for my terrible spelling above! I was on my nook and I cannot type on that thing!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The biggest problem seems to be the counselors we've talked to so far aren't who we need to be with -- their viewpoint. I'm spreading the net further and revisiting paths I've already gone done. I've asked for referrals, some haven't had any and others were dead ends. Rehab clinic didn't have much; already gone there but I'll try again. Maybe someone else there will have another connection.

Trying to find someone who can help with Avoidant/AnxietyPD plus addictions. I'm not narrowing it down to that -- keeping very open minding, but I'm starting to get how those who aren't experienced in both these areas could be leading me or AH in directions that are counter-intuitive to what we need. Already experiencing a bit of that.

Getting on more waiting lists and leaving more messages. AH isn't ready yet, but I am so very ready to keep working on me and having some professional guidance.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One of the places I called in April has a new opening tomorrow. I have an appointment!
I can't afford this, but I can't afford not to.

Posting again here and persistence in calling around has paid off. Same psychology office where I've been on the waiting list for some other therapists.
Found out that if it's not for couples therapy, AH and I should have separate therapists. I was never sure about that before.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I also had issues finding folks who had experience with addiction. There were only three of four in town and getting an appointment was difficult and my STBXAH kept burning bridges with them. The lady I went to who helped me so much didn't have prior experience with addiction, but she did have experience with trauma, which helped me a lot. Keep looking.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

She's an LCPC with a master's in psychology and interned at a chemical dependency center. She specializes in anxiety disorders and also works with trauma. That about covers it for me.

It's easy to say I no longer suffer from anxiety, until I realize how often I put everything into play that I've learned to deal with my anxiety and how much I avoid in in life to keep it in check. Instead of a bottle marrying a bottle, in our case it was two anxieties being married. The bottle was his coping mechanism and I'm sure I have plenty of my own.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you have health insurance you can also call the 800# on the back if the card for a referral. If you are close to a university, many have clinics and offered reduced rates for training purposes.