Notices

Need help soon

Old 05-13-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Need help soon

I am the wife of an alcoholic. We have 3 children. He has been through inpatient; lost jobs; trouble with the law; etc. He had been sober since last September. A few days ago, he relapsed.

I am a whirlwind of emotions: anger, frustration, sadness, etc.

I don't know what to do. I don't know how to help me and my family. I don't even know what to say to him right now. I am completely lost!

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey WifeZ12--your post hit home as it sounds like you and my wife had very similar Mother's Day weekends. I don't know your husband but know how I'm feeling: all the emotions you described and probably the ones you didn't, only directed at myself. How does your husband seem today? Is he still in relapse or trying to correct?
Old 05-13-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome WifeZ12

I'm sorry for your situation, but you'll find a lot of support here

Have you thought of something like AlAnon for yourself - that could provide you with even more support?

D.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes. In fact I am sitting in a meeting that is about to start. I have attended them before but only when my situation was acute and got frustrated because no one would offer advice. I am hoping this meeting will help me in some way.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Please do check out our friends and family forum for further insight and understanding.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 05-13-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

You'll find Al Anon very helpful for support, advice on how to deal with things also can be found, but be careful on thinking you'll be able to seek advice on how to change/fix/cure your husband, you won't find that.

The reason being only HE can change himself, but he has to WANT to, the main focus is for you and your family to receive the support you need to deal with the situation!!
Old 05-13-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It was a great meeting. I will look on other forums as well. I know I can't change him-I'm not even trying to. I just need advice on what to do or say to be supportive without enabling him and how to separately deal with my own emotions about this.