Notices

Where to go on holiday???

Old 05-13-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where to go on holiday???

I am a recovering alcoholic and have been sober for just over 12 months. I have not been away on my own since stopping drinking. I am slightly concerned that I will drink because there is nobody there to see me! I went away last year with a friend and managed to stay sober so I know it's possible. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a good location for a recovering alcoholic? I was a classic alcoholic, black-outs, family arguments, hating myself in mornings, I was so sick it started to effect my teeth, on the inside, thank god! I have several scar's from my binges but I still think I'm lucky, I was heading to either jail or an early grave! The anxiety and regret made me feel ill, with only one cure, more drink!
Old 05-13-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

my next vacation will be in Chicago.

Yous in the UK do vacations differently then in the US. You seem to all go at once- where as we stagger ours.

Pick something to get close to family or good friends.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Bloomineck View Post
I am a recovering alcoholic and have been sober for just over 12 months. I have not been away on my own since stopping drinking. I am slightly concerned that I will drink because there is nobody there to see me! I went away last year with a friend and managed to stay sober so I know it's possible. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a good location for a recovering alcoholic? I was a classic alcoholic, black-outs, family arguments, hating myself in mornings, I was so sick it started to effect my teeth, on the inside, thank god! I have several scar's from my binges but I still think I'm lucky, I was heading to either jail or an early grave! The anxiety and regret made me feel ill, with only one cure, more drink!

Hi, firstly well done on over a year sober, that's an amazing achievement and one I hope to emulate, as for holidays, I chose going to the countryside away from the city, log cabin, lodges etc. basically you take enough food and stuff with you as the nearest shops can be miles away which I found helps as there is enough time in the car driving to rethink I do had any silly notions to drink.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Stoogy, that's a good idea, reminded me of a time recently. I found myself driving out of town (away from prying eyes) heading for a supermarket for drink. It was due to the time it was taking to get there that I changed my mind and did a U turn to the gym! I was so so glad I did a few hours later. Thanks for the idea.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree. I think to be far away from civilization is the best choice.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Have you thought about googling retreats or ashrams? Spending a vacation in nature and meditating would be awesome (I m thinking of doing that soon hopefully).
Old 05-13-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Are you male or female? I'm in the UK and female and if you want to stay in the UK would recommend a health spa. I've been twice this year and love it Pampering,relaxing etc and the one I go to is especially good if you are alone.

If you want to go abroad I'd avoid any package deal/popular holiday resort etc .Maybe something a little more off track. I went to Finland in winter. What do you like doing?
Old 05-13-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Carlotta, that's a great idea too, I have looked at some of these in the past. I'll be having another look tonight
Old 05-13-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi ReadyAtLast, I'm a male from Manchester, UK. I love health spa's, thing is I'm a member of one near me and visit it a few times each week so I don't think it would be enough of a change if you know what I mean? I think you're right about avoiding the busy resort places, I think there would be too much temptation and if I'm on my own I've just got a niggling feeling that I'd see it as a holiday from sobriety instead of a holiday from work! I like the outdoors and I'm quite into health, and wellbeing, as are many recovering alcoholics I'm finding.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I understand. I've sent you a pm.

What about an adventure holiday? yoga retreat or Carlotta suggestions are really good.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, it's the Beach, always. There is nothing more powerful than walking by the ocean as the waves break. My favorite time is watching the sun set into the ocean each day. It fills me with peace to know the world is doing exactly what it should be doing, no matter what is happening with me.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna, love that post. I also love the ocean, I did my PADI diving certification last year, it was great, it was my first sober holiday I've ever had!