Notices

Showing up for sobriety

Old 05-12-2014, 01:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Showing up for sobriety

I read Joshua Becker’s Becoming Minimalist blog, today he wrote a piece about being a beginner at anything with a focus on volunteering and minimalism. At the end of the article he said:

Become available. The experience will come. The talent will grow. And the opportunities will increase.
But first, you need to show up.
Those words gave me pause because I realised they also apply to sobriety.

Become available to sobriety: set up a sober environment. Remove the alcohol/drug of choice and focus on why we want sobriety. Keep making ourselves available to sobriety one day at a time -- in our minds and environments.

The experience will come: each day lived sober will make the next day easier to be sober.

The talent will grow: if each day we make ourselves available to sobriety, if we work for it each day, we’ll set up the next day for success, then our experiences will make it easier for us to continue to be sober all the time.

But first, we have to show up.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Excellent post Marcher.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Thanks Marcher. I'm very interested in minimalism and will look up the blog. And thanks for clarifying how it applies to sobriety.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Great stuff. I am reading a book on the human behaviors with respect to investing, and I also find many parallels to addiction/recovery. Yesterday's chapter was on keeping accurate records and reviewing them because most investors overestimate their ability to pick stocks. They recall fondly the stocks that made money and forget all the times things went badly. Most are under performing the market, but, optimism unaltered by reality, they just keep going back and doing it again anyway.

Sound familiar?
Old 05-12-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nonsensical--great insight!

Also very insightful, Marcher--keep going one day at a time and you can do this!
Old 05-12-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Marcher - I love this concept of showing up for sobriety. It has certainly been true for me. Taking many simple steps to create an environment that is conducive to my sobriety (like bringing my own iced tea to a family gathering yesterday so no one would offer me a beer). It has allowed me to be able to show up in sobriety to enjoy the precious moments of life that I have been given.