Meeting

Old 06-21-2002, 09:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Meeting

I went to the meeting and it was ok. It was a comfortable down to earth group. Only one lady made me hug her before I ran out. God forbid I should hang around and have to talk to anyone. I'm sure they thought I was a snob.

It was really so weird, seriously. Every time someone would say something sad, my hands would move forward as if they wanted to type.

I really had to keep my hands together on my lap so I wouldn't move them forward. And I wanted to post a picture for them.

It was then that I knew my life had become unmanagable. I was soooooo afraid I would say quack! without thinking. Or use one of your names when I talked about something you shared with me.

And I have to remember not to introduce my son as "Spot"

Can you imagine sitting at the alanon table and just yelling quack quack without thinking.

Oh my!

MG

Old 06-21-2002, 10:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I talk about you guys by your screen names, quack, snort , whinney , bray, woof and tweet in public and I don't much care who hears me. It's the one great thing about getting older. Young people are crazy. Once you hit middle age you can be charmingly eccentric.
Old 06-21-2002, 10:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

M.G.,
Have you ever thought about being a
comic? You have a talent girl, and I
think I just woke the neighborhood up!

Hugs,
Old 06-22-2002, 02:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

MG

I am glad you went to your first meeting. Always remember you can act any way you want to act. People understand. I still don't feel comfortable holding hands and hugging people I don't know but it got a little easier. I am still not sure if the meetings are for me but I keep going back to see, I recently tried another one to see if I felt any more comfortable (I didn't). They do make me feel peaceful though and I think that may be another reason I go back. I deserve peace.

Anyway, now that I rambled on, do you think you will keep going back?

Hugs.
Love,
Debbie
Old 06-22-2002, 04:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

I am sure that no one thought you were a snob and I have gotten so comfortable hugging that I would be one of those that you may avoid.

As I continue to go I learn about the other members, just like here, and there are people that I truly love and rely upon...girlfriends with a common bond that I cannot share with others. The same sick jokes..Anonalogies, etc. And seeing the face and hearing the voice behind the words is wonderful.

I am the kind of person that whenever I approach anything new (especially involving new people) I stand back and observe the dynamic before I jump in and spill it all to the first person who says"Hi"...and I have been mistaken for being stuck up. Not my problem...Al Anon is the ONLY place I never heard later that someone thought I was stuck up. They all attended there first meeting in various masks..and then they shed them. Keep going and so will you.
Old 06-22-2002, 05:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

MG

My first 3 meetings I just sat there and cried. Sniffed, sobbed, blew my nose 100 times, and figured that I must look like Tammy Faye Baker.

Also, my shyness is often mistaken for snobbery and I wasn't prepared to hug any perfect stranger.

Today, these people are wonderful friends, who know all the morbid details of my life and love me anyway. I never have to be afraid to share anything, and can be totally honest about how I am feeling.

The best part is that I found my "she-devil" sponsor there. She is older than me and has about 10 years recovery under her belt. She is kind, compassionate, fun, and tells it like it is. She reminds me of Ogly - she will whack me with her skillet of experience any time any day that she thinks I need it. And when she agreed to be my sponsor, I had to agree to do the work involved and take my recovery seriously. I had to agree to attend regularly for at least 3 months, help set up chairs, make coffee, set out literature and clean up, and to begin working my steps with her guidance. Each week we would meet for coffee before the meeting, and she would give me written assignments, step-study papers, and things like our "have fun' list. God Bless her for kicking my butt sometimes, because it worked.

Just give it some time and keep going back. Go to meetings for 3 months and if you decide then that they are not for you, at least you will have given it an honest try.

And your sense of humor will brighten the meeting and give something back to those who have forgeotten how to laugh. Like Smoke, I quack, refer to ducks, and pour my heart out. And I haven't cried there for the longest time.