Notices

Dissapointed and have to start over

Old 07-04-2004, 11:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dissapointed and have to start over

I have had quite a few 24 hours strung together but I blew it over the July 1st holiday weekend and am really disappointed in myself. I should have reached out and called someone when I was being tempted. It was all the partying going on around me that got to me. Every where in my condo people were drinking , sociallizing, laughing and singing. I ended up wanting what they had and forgot to emphasize to myself that I am just not like them . I was just lucky that nothing happened because all it takes is one drink and who knows where ai could end up. Fortunately I FOR SOME REASON VERY UNLIKE ME MANAGED SOME HOW TO ONLY HAVE 3 DRINKS ONE DAY AND 3 DRINKS THE NEXT DAY. However this is enough to stengthen the cycle of craving and one drink is always one drink too many. I don't understand how I spend so much of my life doing the do's of recovery (go to 1 to 2 meetings a day, pray and meditate ect...) but in times of weakness all my resove to stay sober is nowhere to be seen. Now I hve to dust myself off and start all over. I feel beaten up and down. It certainly was not worth it!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-04-2004, 12:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

I know exactly how you feel! I think that I'm doing all the right things--meetings, praying, but when it comes to remembering the euphoria of drinking--you know, the "good" times before it got out of hand, I can't find much strength either. The thing I have to think about when that happens, is how it feels to relapse. The emotional pain outweighs any of the good feelings of being drunk and especially the good feeling of staying sober. I never in my life thought that I would get to this point where all I want to do is crawl into a hole and forget the entire world after I drink. But, it's there--it's a reality and it's something that I have to live with for the rest of my life.
But, welcome back! I'm actually glad to find people like myself that get so tempted around holiday's and such. Sometimes you feel so alone in the world when it seems like everyone EXCEPT you is drinking. But, that's not true...obviously. I too need to learn to reach out for help when temptation is way too strong. I need your help as well as everyone else on these boards! We're all in this together! Keep posting!!!

Danielle
Old 07-04-2004, 01:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi June,

It isn't easy and sometimes it's just best to avoid places and people that are going to cause a craving. I made that decision early on because it was so much easier to deal with things that way. It sounds like you're working really hard at staying sober so onward you go.

Love, Anna
Old 07-04-2004, 01:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

HEY JUNE,SOUNDS LIKE YOU SEE WHAT CAUSED THE RELAPSE,
NEXT TIME THE CRAVING HITS PICK UP THAT PHONE.
WE CAN DO THIS,I CAN'T.
STAY STRONG,KEEP REACHING OUT FOR HELP...............ted :veryhappy
Old 07-04-2004, 02:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi June
It is a powerfull force...our addictions.
We have to be aware of how quickly it sneaks up on us.
It is also the hardest time remember to think that drink through, remember all the yucky stuff that goes along with it.
If I do not keep my memories of hell green, I can convince my addicted self that I can handle it...and I know in my heart that I can't handle it at all.
Congratulations on getting right back up and back into sober life.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by junem
I feel beaten up and down. It certainly was not worth it!!!!!!!!!
Amazing what just a few drinks can do to your spirit once you've a taste of sobriety yes? I remember March 17th of this year. Two lousy martinis. It took me a few days to get my head space positive again. I had just had a 77 day string of sober days. But we do it. No matter what. I am grateful I haven't had a drink since.
We do recover.
Welcome back
Old 07-04-2004, 07:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's a tough situation, I've been there many, many times... What I noticed helped me, was having a strong plan going into such a scenario... This weekend I stuck to bottled water and an occasional coca-cola...

Anyway, stay strong..

Fellow Torontonian.

TG28
Old 07-04-2004, 07:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

Well the important thing is your back! This hic-cup is in the past and you only have today, that is all that ever matters. So back on the bus and we'll keep ya strapped in tight! *hugs*
Old 07-04-2004, 08:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

(((((((( june)))))) Keep the faith ! All will be well..I am pullin for you !
Old 07-04-2004, 08:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

june,
kelkel and squirrelly are right. remember how you feel right now and that will help the next time. you know what you need to do that is why you are here. everyone is rooting for you. remember that the way you feel right now is not worth taking that drink. i know its hard when everyone around you is indulging in your drug of choice, but keep hanging in there. today is a new day. in an hour and a half you will gain another day under your belt.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Welcome back June. Consider this a lesson learned and stop beating yourself up over it. Onward now....
Old 07-05-2004, 04:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your encouragement. I think I'll read step one every morning for awhile and continue to do what i've been doing. I try to tell myself all the time that sobriety should always be my main priority and everything else will just eventually fall into place. I also must pray, pray and pray.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

GREAT PLAN JUNE,DO WHATEVER IS NEEDED TO STAY SOBER TODAY.TOMMOROW JUST START OVER!
...........ted
Old 07-05-2004, 06:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Ted. I just came back from a meeting where I was asked to read the promises. Remembering them is also an incentive to work harder at recovery.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

welcome back June. I am no expert at this being only 8 months sober, but I think I think that hic cup lurks in all of us. You have yours behind you now. Hang in and learn from it.
Lin
Old 07-08-2004, 03:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi June.....welcome to sober recovery, so happy you found us.

Some battle we have on our hands eh? I know cause I'm an alkie, with to many years of drinking to even think about. We all understand what you're going through, and the ongoing battle you have ahead of you....but oh the FREEDOM of getting there.
I try to tell myself all the time that sobriety should always be my main priority and everything else will just eventually fall into place. I also must pray, pray and pray.
Amen to that June.

Wishing you all the best on your journey to sobriety, hang on real tight to the gang here, they'll guide you. I know this for a fact, they've stuck close to me and showed me the way, mind you I've been one of the slower one's, who needed the extra PUSH. I've come a long way let me tell you, so listen to the wonderful teachers here, and you'll soon love them all as much as I do. I promise you will find some peace in this.

Love and hugs......Denise
Old 07-08-2004, 07:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Paused

Hello June,

Well June, don't know if this makes you feel better, but I did exactly the same thing. Sunday night (July 4th) I wanted to stay home and have my friends come over - grill food and watch fireworks (you can see an excellent show really well from my patio). I was going on my 4th day.

They decided they wanted to go to a party instead of come over - but invited me to come along. I was really disappointed, because I knew it would be easier for me not to drink with just the 3 of us hanging out then going to a big party were almost everyone is drinking.

Just like you, I wasn't really bad. Had 3 also over several hours. The 4th one I opened just didn't taste good - so I threw it out and stopped. I was proud of myself in the aspect that I at least controlled my drinking. It does make it very difficult when everyone around you is drinking.

I thought about all the negatives of alcohol in addition to how it affects me - like no nutritional value, empty calories, the damage it does to my body, the cost and how I would rather spend the money. I actually made a list Monday morning of why I don't want to drink - all the negatives for me to carry around so I could pull it out and remind myself why I don't want to drink.

Saturday (July 3rd) I did meet the same friends at a bar for a couple of hours- I was good that night though and just drank water and tea. I did feel a little restless and fidgitty. Part of it is habit as well. It just didn't feel right not having a bottle or a drink in my hand. I wanted to know I could do it (be in that environment and not drink) even if it wasn't for very long.

Okay, now I am rambling. Guess I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I did the same thing. So here's to starting over (toast with H20)!
Old 07-08-2004, 07:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

((((June)))) Hows it goin? Thinkin of you..prayers ^ trish
Old 07-08-2004, 08:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Paused

hi june,
glad you made it back, some don't. trying not to beat yourself up is tough after a slip, i know, been there done that. but i've learned that we shouldnt be too hard on ourselves because of it. it was our disease acting up, and something caught us off guard. so try and look at this as a learning experience instead. think about what you can do next time to avoid this.

you did what alcoholics do, it's a natural action. the miracle happens when our want not to pick up wins. we hav to work hard every day for this want to win over our addiction. it does get easier with time and program.

today i carry my 24 hour coin with me everywhere i go, i used to carry my each coin i collected with it, 24, 30 days, 60 days, ect. today i carry my 24 hour coin in my left pocket, and my one year coin in the right. when ever i go into a pocket for money i'm reminded of what i have today, and where i was yesterday. it really helps me not want to go back
Old 07-08-2004, 08:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
garden variety alcoholic

My last hic up was only one drink. But I beat myself up pretty good. But, my sponsor told me, that it was progress, because, for the first time, I actually came back, and was honest about it, instead of waiting untill I got caught. And didn't let it drag out, and become a big mess.

And more important, is that I learned how cunning, baffling and powerful this disease can be. And, I learned what in my head, can allow my desire to drink, to overcome my desire to stay sober