Notices

Summer Days

Old 05-10-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Summer Days

Hello. My name is Tiffany. I made the decision to get sober and stay sober 47 days ago. I have found it surprisingly easy this time around, although there has been moments...like right now. I am an alcoholic who can make just about anything 'call for a drink'; like, 'it's sunny' or 'it's snowing' - what a great time for a drink.
Summer is approaching, and the beautiful weather is definitely a trigger for me. So is getting dressed up, or feeling like I am looking good. I guess part of me associates alcohol with going out, being seen, having that confident swagger (although I know all too well that the swagger doesn't last long before it becomes a stumble and slur).
Staying home in sweat pants is not a solution, although I have been avoiding a lot of socializing the last month. What can I do to go out, look good and feel good without associating that with drinking? Is it just a matter of time, and readjusting my brain paths?
Glad to be a part of this group!!
Old 05-10-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello- I am weaning down- (pills-opiates) and I am finding the temp variations to be hell.

Hugs to you
Old 05-10-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to a great new life if we allow it to happen. I used to drink for many reasons like the grand opening of a new package of cigarettes, the sun came up, I didn't remember what happened last night etc. My priorities certainly got influenced by what other people might think, I was so important, it mattered. I recall a lady speaker who got all dressed up to get messed up as she tells her story.
The important thing is sobriety comes absolutely first, no matter what! WE function on what's on the inside not how we Look. That's a tough one to accept as this society is marketed towards looks not being comfortable in our own skin.

BE WELL
Old 05-10-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not drinking anymore has given me a
quiet confidence in myself. A better
understanding about addiction and
how alcohol was slowly killing me inside
and out.

The longer I remain sober the more
mature I feel. Not totally grow up just
yet, but a tad more grown up.

I found out that I didn't need alcohol
to make me look good or feel better.
In fact alcohol was robbing me of my
inner beauty as well as my outside.

I always dressed appropriately, always
lady like, face bright and cheerful. Then,
over time I realized that I didn't actually
need all the make up and gave my face
a rest.

Today at 55, I am still taking care of my
appearance so as the years continue on
they will be kind to me.

Priorities change when we get further in
our recovery and on our journey and you
will see the same too.

I no longer want to be in clubs drinking,
carrying on and going home with strangers
putting my life and health in jeopardy.
There's so much more in life to appreciate
and enjoy and be grateful for than slowly
killing myself with poison.

Happy Recovery Journey to You..!!!!
Old 05-10-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
Welcome to a great new life if we allow it to happen. I used to drink for many reasons like the grand opening of a new package of cigarettes...
Welcome Tiffany, Maybe you might to attend different events. Get all dressed up and looking good and go to an art museum or something along that line...
Have a cappuccino and a biscotti and take it all in. Old habits are hard to break. But if we really think about it, there are alternatives to the 'usual' things.

grand opening of a package of cigarettes...

or celebrating the last one in the pack too...
Old 05-10-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

Spring is a good time to get out and get active. I resumed bike riding when i got sober. By the end of my first year i had done a lot of Miles. After excercise drinking does appeal less
Old 05-10-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would suggest getting into some alcohol free activities. Doing things that don't have alcohol involved.

Congrats on 47 days sober!
Old 05-10-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Tiffany!! great to have you onboard!!
Old 05-10-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Tiffany! I totally relate. My drinking days were full of dressing up, partying and being all around awesome. At least that's what I thought. Truth was, sometimes I wound up looking like Courtney Love on the cover of that Hole album where she's all bedraggled and lipstick smeared.

I am also looking for life outside of the "scene". Haven't found it yet. But I keep looking. You should too. And post when you find it. I will do the same
Old 05-10-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Tiffany - so good to meet you!

For me, it did take time to get used to the 'new normal'. I had used alcohol the same way - never thought anything would be fun again without it. I was so wrong. Being numb and foggy is no way to live - you're doing a great thing by kicking it out of your life. Be patient with yourself. 47 days is wonderful, but you're still healing and adjusting to the new you. It will all be worth it.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for all of the responses....a great feeling is knowing I am not alone. I managed to distract myself for the afternoon, and avoided putting myself in any situations where I would feel really bitter about not drinking (ie going to the pub and drinking pop).

I am moving in a few months and am looking forward to starting somewhere that I haven't been a drinker for 15 years. It is a much bigger place, and there will be a lot more options for healthy things to do as well !!