Notices

Dinner party report

Old 05-10-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dinner party report

It's 6:30 on a Saturday morning - coffee's brewing and I feel rested, relaxed and ready to do some stuff today. Big difference from 3 months ago.

Last night marked another 'first'. A get together at a friend's home for a dinner party. Upon arriving, after hugs and handshakes, one of the wives said, "Bill, has something he wants to ask you about the business," <laughter> "Well let him get a drink first!"

That was the moment I was dreading. Turning down that initial drink and hoping it didn't turn into 20 questions about why I'm not drinking. It didn't, fortunately. The host just raised an eyebrow and said, 'still not drinking?'. Yep.

The evening was fine. In a strange way, it was almost more relaxing to sit around the dinner table sober, rather than 5 or 6 drinks deep as was my custom. I realized that, as a drinker in dinner conversation, I used to carefully evaluate what I was going to say to try to avoid sounding intoxicated. (i'm sure that really fooled a lot of people) Sober, I felt more free to participate in the conversation without fear that I was going to come off as a drunk.

Rest of the evening was fine - started getting tired and left at a decent hour instead of waiting until the last beer was gone. And the drive home? Wonderful. Saw a car pulled over by the police and thought, there but for the grace of God...

Okay, coffee's ready. Thanks for listening an have a great weekend, all.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like a good evening

Have a great weekend alkaline

D
Old 05-10-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow...this is very inspiring. I've been wondering how this situation will be for me. Congratulations on your successful evening. It's so much nicer to wake up feeling good on a Saturday morning and not feeling like crap. I don't know why this should be so hard when it's so obviously better for us not to drink! Thanks for the update alkaline.