Notices

First AA MEETING for the third time!!

Old 05-09-2014, 10:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First AA MEETING for the third time!!

Hello fine people of SR and the hundreds of visitors!!
So day 7 in the books, what a fantastic week!!

Sleep getting better, sweats have diminished for the most part
The other physical and internal things I was always battling seem to be getting better, which is huge cause I never really related them to my drinking, but since I've quit and quit smoking for 7 days now !! It's incredible how fast your body will help you if you don't try and drown it in a 26er and a case a beer and a pack a smokes a night!! I feel it celebrating with me

I know it's not over and reading the wonderful amount of information on this site
It's a battle for life!!! But I'm taking this week and going to celebrate it with a long day of work tomorrow and drive by one of my old haunts and give it a big middle finger and humongous cursive... So I can plant this feeling of joy after one week of be clean, in my sub conscious to remind me when I'm down about how good I feel right now !!!!

So the meeting was a good one, it was nice to be surrounded by non judgmental people some worse off , some doing better, but all pointing in the right direction!! It's amazing the feeling of family, that's not the right word , the feeling of .... I guess just the silent understanding when u meet another person battling with the same thing for the first time ... Everybody there just gets it!!
You meet a lot of people willing to share and help!! Just like this site but obviously in a physical sense!! Personal for me I think using both for now is the best thing for me , cause I can post almost anonymously and not have to see the people I'm talking to ... Until I get the confidence back to get up in a meeting I know SR WILL GET ME THERE, than I will use both !!! 2 outlets is always better than one!!

I heard something again tonight. 90 meetings/ 90 days
3 months !! They say obviously it's hard but if you can its a great foundation to then either start the steps or find something else that might work for you!!
Also it makes you go to other meetings and ya never know you might not be in the right one now or you might be !! But if you don't check others ones out you'll never know if there's a more suitable meeting out there for you !!

Any experienced people have any tips or input on both of those comments
- the meetings in a row 90/90
- finding a group that might suit you better

Thanks for your time
I SEE YOU DAY 8, and I'm coming for ya

Have a great clean and happy weekend
And happy moms day to you out there on SR
I KNOW I'll be thinking about mine
Old 05-09-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You sound great Skotyb - keep it up

D
Old 05-09-2014, 10:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

forgot the picture I took on the way to my first meeting for the third time and forgot to mention the other 2 times I went I was hung over as well you know and on day 1!! Meetings in day 7 way better than meetings on day 1 for me !!

The picture

" the storm clouds moving away and the sun coming out "
Coincidence I think not , if you've read some of my other posts for now I'm taking any sign I can get!! I'm on the right path!!!Lol

Yes Alex I'll take " finding meaning in any little thing for the moment for 2000$"

Gnight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (85.3 KB, 42 views)
Old 05-09-2014, 11:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hey Skotyb...you have a tailwind on this ride moving you forward

Great photo once again. Your enthusiasm and momentum is pleasantly contagious.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I never did 90 in 90 but I did do 312 in 365 and it was essential to making it through the first year. I still go 4 days a week. Not sure I need that many meetings but I never want to find out. Just looked I'm at day 1752
Old 05-10-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow 90 in 90! I love your enthusiasm in your post. I found AA to be very refreshing. I wish I didn't have to drive 40 miles one way. But, that's where having SRF, reading, and the support of key people in between is important in my situation.

But, I love what you said here - and thank you for a great post!!! Great job!!!!

Being sober is as wonderful as all the veterans here say it is!!!!
Old 05-10-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for your time!!
I also here free cake every year, that's enough to get someone to stop for life!!
I love cake
Old 05-10-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I did 90 in 90 my first go around in 2012 after getting out of rehab. I liked it, it got me more attuned to myself, my own thought process and not drinking. I developed better habits and saw that i could live life sober and still function. I got to 10.5 months and relapsed. It isn't a cure all because in addition to attending the meetings you have to also follow suggestions like calling people, working on changing yourself through working steps. Things I didn't do. So, I relapsed. I'm back and have almost six months this time. I go to three meetings a week, come on here and I call people and do a lot more thinking. My thinking is better and I'm not taking sobriety for granted. I supplement by coming here.

As for finding the right meetings, just experiment with different ones until you find a good mix. If someone says something that clicks for you at one meeting ask them about what meetings they attend. Or if you feel comfortable enough ask after the meeting for suggestions. Try to get in a mix. Big book, step, discussion, beginners. I'm fortunate that there are a lot of different meetings everyday, close by. I attend a beginners topic meeting on Fridays, a discussion meeting on Sunday mornings and a big book study meeting on Monday nights.

If this is your first time I say follow the suggestion of 90 in 90 to start retraining your brain. If you can swing it. As a lot of people told me, I never had trouble finding the time to drink everyday, I can find the time for meetings too. Instead. Hope this helps.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Skotyb View Post
I heard something again tonight. 90 meetings/ 90 days 3 months !! They say obviously it's hard but if you can its a great foundation to then either start the steps or find something else that might work for you!!
Also it makes you go to other meetings and ya never know you might not be in the right one now or you might be !! But if you don't check others ones out you'll never know if there's a more suitable meeting out there for you !!

Any experienced people have any tips or input on both of those comments
- the meetings in a row 90/90
Congratulations on 7 days Skotyb!

I had absolutely no desire to do 90 in 90 when I got out of rehab. It took about six hours at home (the scene of most of my drinking in the end) when I left rehab to realize despite all I had learned in six weeks, not much had changed.

I went to a meeting the next day. It made me feel better, so kept going. I checked out the AA website for meeting lists and went to meetings all over the three counties around my home, and found one I liked most and made it my homegroup. I went there every morning. By the end of my first year I had done 360 meetings.

I still go to meetings, typically three or four a week now.

That first meeting was February 8 2010, and I haven't had a drink since. Give it a try, what do you have to lose?