Notices

Day one down. Thanks for SR

Old 05-09-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one down. Thanks for SR

Well, I haven't been on SR for a long time, not that I ever posted much, but used to lurk every day and made a few posts. I had some days here and there of sobriety around when i was using this site and then a good ten days, thought I could make it out of the woods and turn the corner, to mix two metaphors. But then for some reason just said ah I am going to the bar, left work early and started drinking again. Waking up every day like a zombie. Been drinking every day for so many years, and the few sober days I had were really amazing, after the initial body shock wore off. Anyway, I am committed to quit and wanted to say good luck to us all!
Old 05-09-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Thanos

I think most of us here drank for years...it's gonna take a little while to get accustomed to not drinking - and a little regular maintenance, and maybe some lifestyle changes, to stay in recovery,

I'm glad you made your way back for round two - whats your plan?

D
Old 05-09-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My last year of sobriety has been one of the most wonderful years of my life. The best part is when that alarm goes off and I've had an honest night's sleep with dreams I can remember. Waking up sick after sleeping poorly was a nightmare.

Congratulations on day one! Keep coming back to let us know how you're doing. It matters!

Be well.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee and Bruce. I think I'll try AA on Monday, willpower has not been cutting it. Not sure if I will be able to say anything there though I think it will be awkward and intimidating.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
Well, I haven't been on SR for a long time, not that I ever posted much, but used to lurk every day and made a few posts. I had some days here and there of sobriety around when i was using this site and then a good ten days, thought I could make it out of the woods and turn the corner, to mix two metaphors. But then for some reason just said ah I am going to the bar, left work early and started drinking again. Waking up every day like a zombie. Been drinking every day for so many years, and the few sober days I had were really amazing, after the initial body shock wore off. Anyway, I am committed to quit and wanted to say good luck to us all!

Well done on deciding to quit, it truly will be worth it.
Congratulations.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep going Thanos, it got massively better for me before I even realised how long I had stopped drinking - although I'm still in the "junior" school of sobriety.

After a few days our body begins to heal and the fog begins to lift. It felt so good (and got better every day) that I just couldn't throw it away and start drinking again.

Strength and Light, it will get better!

Best wishes,

Bruce.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
Thank you Dee and Bruce. I think I'll try AA on Monday, willpower has not been cutting it. Not sure if I will be able to say anything there though I think it will be awkward and intimidating.

There are a lot of threads here about first AA meetings, and you can google "What to expect at AA," too.

You never have to talk unless you want to talk. You can introduce yourself if you want to, but it isn't a requirement to talk. The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking. I don't like to talk and I've been to 70ish meetings. Some days I have something useful to say, but some days my thoughts are too jumbled to put together a coherent statement at all.

Try one. It's good to be with others who instantly understand how I feel and what my life was like.

Congratulations on Day One! As always, one day at a time. That's all the time any of us have.