Notices

fell flat on my face

Old 05-08-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

fell flat on my face

So disappointed but aggravated too. Have not told my friends yet because I have an actual quit date in mind of June 3rd. I was doing well for four days then last night my friends surprised me with a night out-basically I binge drank. Please don't tell me to get new friends. My husband, who is overly supportive, and I are now in a wicked fight. He's mad I drank but mostly mad because I did not drink with him. I don't know if I can do this for real. How did I get here?!?
Old 05-08-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

What's magical about June 3rd?
Old 05-08-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One last planned trip with friends. Bought and paid for...trying to be honest here..
Old 05-08-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Can't you stop drinking now and enjoy your trip sober? I can't imagine doing anything that drinking would make it better.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

And getting Binge-Drink drunk on the trip will make it more special and a better vacation?

if you think about it, no it won't you can be hung-over and miserable and remember your trip this way, or you can be done with drinking no matter if it is Monday, dooms day, the last full moon or the total eclipse of the sun.

YOU have to be ready to quit for YOU, not hubby, your favorite team, friends or vacation.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

You will be a statistical anomaly if you can make an excuse to drink again and then stop after that.

Seems like you fear spending sober time with your friends more than you fear the negative consequences of continued alcohol use.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 05-08-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Why have I read to set a date and stick to it then. I am confused....
Old 05-08-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whatcouldbe View Post
So disappointed but aggravated too. Have not told my friends yet because I have an actual quit date in mind of June 3rd. I was doing well for four days then last night my friends surprised me with a night out-basically I binge drank. Please don't tell me to get new friends. My husband, who is overly supportive, and I are now in a wicked fight. He's mad I drank but mostly mad because I did not drink with him. I don't know if I can do this for real. How did I get here?!?
All I can say is that you know you can't be in an environment surrounded by alcohol and expect to achieve sobriety. That's illogical. Your going to have to face some hard reality and tell your "friends" your giving up alcohol. The true friends you have will support you on a night out without that type environment. And the rest will disprove that they are truly your friend. Your going to have some losses getting sober. Worry about you and your health. That's the most important thing. I'm pulling for you. You can do this.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I understand the June 3 thing because sometimes life and friendship patterns are set in a way that they are synonymous with alcohol. It looks like that may be the case for you if a surprise night out involves binge drinking. Those situations are not easy to manage.

At some point you may want to consider breaking the cycle right now instead of basing it on some future event. I have a coworker who everyone at work quietly knows is an alcoholic. She wants to quit drinking but can't because every time she brings it up to me there is always a company event next week where she will be "forced" to drink in our work hard / play hard culture. She has spent the last 10 weeks waiting for a good time to quit; I've spent the last 10 weeks being sober.

You should be able to count on your friends' support 100%. One of my coworkers loves to drink - a lot. One day earlier in sobriety we left the office together and I mentioned how it was the kind of spring day that made a drink sound like a great idea. Her immediate response was, "no - you're not doing that" and the conversation moved on.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The sooner you learn to deal with life events sober the sooner you will stop the chaos.

There will always be occasions to justify your drinking.

Not sure this is what you want to hear. Sad but it's true
Old 05-08-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

your post expresses shame and frustration with yourself. You WANT to stop - yet your 'planned quit date' allows specifically for you to go do it again....

It seems to me like you're fighting yourself.

I wonder if you took some quiet time alone to reflect on things, whether you'd find it more important to have "one last fling" with alcohol or to honor that part of you who feels disappointed, ashamed and frustrated that you 'fell flat on your face'....

You really don't have to drink on that trip with your friends. I know you feel like you do - I've been there - but you really don't. And you can have a fantastic time.

Also - you really don't have to go. Even if it's bought and paid for. The world won't end if you don't go because you choose to honor that voice calling to you from your heart saying "I don't want to live like this"......

In fact, not only will the world not end, it will open up in whole new ways you never dreamed possible.

So... I donno.... maybe it's time for some deep reflection on what's really important.

You don't have to keep living this spiral.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure where you read that.

We always encourage people to stop drinking right now, today. Who knows what could happen if you wait.

You could try to enjoy your vacation sober.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by tim68 View Post
All I can say is that you know you can't be in an environment surrounded by alcohol and expect to achieve sobriety. That's illogical. Your going to have to face some hard reality and tell your "friends" your giving up alcohol. The true friends you have will support you on a night out without that type environment. And the rest will disprove that they are truly your friend. Your going to have some losses getting sober. Worry about you and your health. That's the most important thing. I'm pulling for you. You can do this.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm cornfused. Your quit date is June 3 but you already quit and failed. Was this a practice quit?
And a practice relapse? Think of the money youll save. Or is this an all inclusive and you want to get your moneys worth.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi whatcouldbe

I tried for years not to change my life...to only change my drinking. I never made it work.
My life was *about* drinking...if yours is too, then that HAS to change...it's imperative.

Originally Posted by whatcouldbe
The problem I have with picking a date is I would try to cram so much last hurrah drinking in there that I usually ended up drunk on my quit date day, and I thought 'screw it...I'll try again later'

The Chinese have a proverb - the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, The second best time is today

don't waste you're life waiting for things to happen whatcouldbe - make them happen

D
Old 05-08-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR whatcouldbe! What a great name! Not to be a jerk but after that story , whatcouldbe could be no more if you wait for a JUNE 3rd "QuitDATE"! You came here because something is not right with what your doing and YOU sure can DO IT! Very Contradictory statements that your husband is overly supportive, mad at you for drinking and mad at you for not drinking with him???????? Please hang out with us , we will besupportive and there are a whole lot of us doing, been doing , have done what you are doing to yourself! You can stop the Madness and you will feel much better for it! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby