Notices

A Beautiful Mind

Old 05-07-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Beautiful Mind

Day 4 here.

I watched A Beautiful Mind again last night (been watching movies to unplug and distract myself from wanting to drink) and it struck me that alcoholism is a lot like the people that were in Russell Crowe's character's mind. His friend, the little girl, and that CIA guy. For a long time he responds to them all the time without thinking, then he realizes it's all in his head and has to say goodbye to them and live his life without responding to them in order to function in society.

The part I could relate to is they never went away...they were always there lurking...even after he recognizes that they aren't real and that he can't act on what they are saying. He grows old and he still sees them.

I've tried to stay sober a zillion times and always rationalized away that I could drink normally, control my drinking this time, etc. I think I have to approach it like that guy. 5 days, months, or years from now that voice inside my head is going to be there and I just have to find a way to ignore it and move on.

Anyway...thats my epiphany of the day
Old 05-07-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

interesting comparison
Old 05-07-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 4.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Thanks for the post Rusting - this has been on my mind today as the "voice" was pretty loud for me today at 23 days & also have started over many time in the last 2 years. I talked to mine out loud today telling "it" that I had better things to do & that I really didn't want it around anymore. (was pretty powerful to tell it that) But your right, it will probably always be there, its just a matter of whether we're going to listen to it or not. Great job on 4 days!! - Im finding hope in reading others post here that it will lesson with time & holding on to that.