Notices

Withdrawl after one day relapse?

Old 05-07-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawl after one day relapse?

I was clean and sober for about a month then had a one day relapse, drank and used crack for about 12 hours. It's been almost a day now and I am really shaky, especially my hands. It just seems weird that one day would do that. It could be anxiety maybe. Just not sure if I should be worried or not. Like called someone from treatment and she said it's unlikely after one day and could be anxiety. Idk. Any thoughts.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

F101,

We cannot give medical advice here on SR, so I won't comment about that. I will say that the phenomenon you describe is not uncommon - it's called the kindling effect. Alcoholism is a progressive disease, and though you had quit for a while, it's not like your alcoholism went away. Many people describe relapses after years of sobriety where they revert back to their worst drinking consequences in a matter of days.

Google "alcohol kindling effect" to get more info. The important thing is to understand that whatever you were previously doing was not enough to prevent relapse. What is your plan now?
Old 05-07-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

oh sorry I didn't mean to ask the wrong question. Need to go to meetings and stay away from alcohol.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Failure - welcome

It could be anxiety, it could be withdrawal - none of us can really tell you. If you're concerned it makes sense to see a Dr

D