Notices

what's the point?

Old 05-07-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what's the point?

I feel like I'm putting too much Faith in my sponsorship alone. I know i should reach out to others in the program. I'm confused as to what sponsorship means to me i guess. Do i let her in on all my dark secrets or ifs she just there to simply tell me if I'm ready for the next step? I don't want to overstep the boundaries of sponsorship. I think if i see a counselor then maybe I'll have someone to tell my insecurities to and then my sponsor can be free to help me work the steps. Am i overthinking this?
Old 05-07-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you could be overthinking it. or you could also be yer being cautious. do you tell her all of your dark secrets? heres what the bb says:
Rightly and naturally, we think well before we choose the person or persons with whom to take this intimate and confidential step.

If we cannot or would rather not do this, we search our acquaintance for a close-mouthed, understanding friend. Perhaps our doctor or psychologist will be the person

here a good write up on sponsorship:
http://www.aa.org/pdf/products/p-15_Q&AonSpon.pdf
Old 05-07-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

From what I've heard, a sponsor is there to help you thru the steps. I'd choose a counselor to tell my secrets to.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've decided to go see a counselor. I need structured listening now more than ever. It can't be harder than walking into aa! And i think it'll help my program and my life. I just hope i can afford it! But it'll be worth it if out saves me from myself.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Professional treatment is great but I would recommend a professional that is in recovery themselves. That said, my sponsor knows everything about me. The good the bad and ugly but I also would trust my sponsor with my life
Old 05-07-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have you tried posting in the 12 step support forum?
Old 05-07-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went to a Counselor whilst going through the steps with a sponsor and beyond. If you are committed to working the steps in AA then there isn't an issue.

Obviously in step 5 you will be going through every single aspect of your life and you but I am assuming that you want a Counselor for other issues not to keep things from your sponsor?

I am in AA and did what you are doing 5 years ago and am still sober so it works:-)