Notices

Embrace discomfort

Old 05-06-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Embrace discomfort

Thank you everyone for the honest stories of the discomfort of early sobriety! I haven't considered myself a true alcoholic until reading these posts. A couple glasses of wine after work is no big deal right? I recognize now that it's much more than that. I've gone a month here, a week there, even 3 months without a glass of wine in the past, but then a vacation or inlaws or a birthday party or a hard day at work and achy feet and head, and just like that, back to a couple glasses of wine at night plus whatever festivities came my way. I knew it was a concern when I told myself 2 glasses of wine a week should fulfill all my social needs but was never any where near able to come close to that goal. It was 3 or 4 bottles of wine a week or nothing at all. Nothing at all or nothing less!!! I don't care if it's 3 bottles of gin a day, or 4 bottles of wine a week. If it is a power stronger than your will power and it is not what you promised yourself, than it is an addiction. So I've stopped hopefully for good this time. I see the powerful grip of addiction and how it takes us down. Things that woke me up to the damage a few innocent bottles of wine will cause ... -This forum, the book "almost alcoholic", Brene Browns books and ted talks about the way we self medicate to avoid pain instead of leaning into discomfort. We need to lean into discomfort in order to live "wholeheartedly". In the US we numb because we are avoiding discomfort. We can numb with anything. Food, video games, sex, alcohol, drugs. Brene Brown says she doesn't care if it's crack cocain or an apple fritter. If we are using it to numb, we are numbing our happiness along with the discomfort. It all gets numbed. You can't pick and choose the numbing. That is why a couple glasses of wine at night is the dangerous slippery slop to much darker things. Numb the happiness and you will have more discomfort requiring more numbing.. You get the idea.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Love this!! Thanks for sharing with us
Old 05-06-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice post, thanks, and a timely one for me.
Good luck and welcome to SR!
Old 05-06-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love this - somehow, it never occurred to me that I was "numbing the happiness," too.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks! I still try to avoid discomfort and cling to positive experiences and emotions. This is a great reminder to me that discomfort is ok and should not be pushed away but embraced.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bumble View Post
I love this - somehow, it never occurred to me that I was "numbing the happiness," too.
Yes! And reading the posts on SR have taught me that we all all have pain and discomfort and it's learning to breath and accept it instead of trying to numb it (along with our happiness). I still think about a glass of wine after a rough day, but it's learning to lean into the discomfort and knowing it will pass that keeps me making the right choice. It's still tough and these posts keep me honest.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great thread, thanks for sharing.

It really is sneaky in an hypocrite kind of way. You wake up one day and realize something is not normal.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

I agree, funny how it took me thirty years of drinking to reallise that .....LOL