Notices

A very bad memory.....

Old 05-05-2014, 11:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A very bad memory.....

I went to get gas tonight and while my car was filling up, I looked across the parking lot only to see the drug store where I bought multiple bottles of booze to hide how much I had drank before my wife returned from a trip. Seeing the store helped to crystallize (again) just how far I had sunk. Thankfully, I quit two days after that store visit. I still can't believe I was in that state of mind. I hit 70 days tomorrow and will continue on. Again, if I can quit, anyone can! Good night to all and thanks for listening..
Old 05-05-2014, 11:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

well done on 70 days jkirk

D
Old 05-06-2014, 12:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

jkirk, congrats on 70 days of sober freedom!

I used to feel that "bad memory" thing whenever I'd pass by that usual liquor store in the early months of sobriety. I felt like my car was saying, "Hey, don't we always turn in there? I'm almost on auto-pilot here!" I always felt a twinge of guilt and shame passing that store...

Now when I drive past there, I actually can smile, and say, I don't need you anymore! That is, if I even notice it when I pass now. There are so many other things to concentrate on now, that I forget it's there sometimes!

Don't beat yourself up for those bad memories, but learn from them. They can serve as a reminder of what not to do....
Old 05-06-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ah captain! well done on your 70 days. Thanks for sharing that. All those reminders sometimes haunt us. Stay strong!
Old 05-06-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
I went to get gas tonight and while my car was filling up, I looked across the parking lot only to see the drug store where I bought multiple bottles of booze to hide how much I had drank before my wife returned from a trip. Seeing the store helped to crystallize (again) just how far I had sunk. Thankfully, I quit two days after that store visit. I still can't believe I was in that state of mind. I hit 70 days tomorrow and will continue on. Again, if I can quit, anyone can! Good night to all and thanks for listening..
Well done for being so strong and focused.
And huge congrats on 70 days, that's awesome.