Update - Feeling Good

Old 05-05-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update - Feeling Good

Hi all!
Well, I've just returned from the second part of my holiday with my mum and I feel amazing. Time apart where I have not had to worry about alcohol and ABF has been great and allowed me to clear my head.
Before I left, we had another fight where I let everything loose and told him how I felt about his drinking and told him that I couldn't continue if drinking was going to be involved in our life. I can handle him having one or two beers on a Saturday, but he can't/won't stop. So I have left him to think about things and we are going to talk further when he returns in two weeks.
I talked about things with my mum and I feel so good! I feel stronger and more able to deal with the situation itself. I feel that I can put boundaries in place and stick to them. I told him that I cannot control him or his drinking, but I can tell him what I am willing to accept and it is up to him to make his choice. I know that he is drinking while I am away but hopefully he will think and realise that if he keeps drinking, he will lose me. And I feel strong enough to see it through.
Don't get me wrong though - I am missing him, but I am not missing coming home to find beer bottles in the bin, or worrying about the upcoming weekend because I know it will be alcohol filled. It felt great the past few days knowing that I didn't have to worry about finding beer to keep him happy. Wow! I think this has made me see that although separating would be hard, I could do it because there would be light at the end of the tunnel.
I want this relationship to work, but his beer must go. He can be violent (not towards me but I still have to witness it) and mean when he is drunk, and I am not willing to put up with it anymore.
I think he got a fright now that everything is out in the open. He was very affectionate and clingy all the way to the airport and watched me as he left on the bus. Is this normal behaviour for an alcoholic once confronted?
But I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT! AND IT LOOKS GOOD!