Notices

I need to know of some options please

Old 05-05-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to know of some options please

Hello, I need help kicking the bottle. I can't do full-time rehab do to my job but could if they would allow me to go to work. I have insurance and I'm to the point that my shakes are out of control, I mean even getting my drink without spilling it difficult. Please help if you can. Thank you
Old 05-05-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd recommend seeing a doctor. There are outpatient rehab options avaialable after Detox, but you may need medical help with the detox itself first. If you have insurance just go see the doc, they are very much aware of how to help those with alcohol issues.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know here where I live there is a center that does let you leave for work, but there are some very strict guidelines.

I also recommend seeing a doctor. Good luck!
Old 05-05-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you have the option, go to your primary care doctor. Tell them you need to detox and ask for something to help you. They can tell you if you are safe to detox at home and give you a little something to make it a bit easier for you. Detox over your days off if that's what you need to do to allow for your work. That's the easy part, the hard part is remaining sober. There are a lot of programs out there to help you. This website is a great resource. I went to a rehab for detox and rehab. I immediately relapsed. Rehab is not the end of all our troubles. Please see someone before you do this alone. It is dangerous and people have died trying it alone.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are IOPs (intensive outpatient programs).

Do get to the doctor, though. If it's that bad, I wouldn't wait for an appointment, I'd request emergency help.

We are here if you need to talk.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

another thing that concerns me is I don't want my employer to even know. Will the health ins, which I have through them, be able to inform my company? Thank you all so much. I havn't even talk about this with my wife yet
Old 05-05-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome DTOM

I'm not American so I can't answer your query but I think getting medical support for detox is a really good idea - vital even for some of us.

I think our well being and health should be a priority

D
Old 05-05-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Under most circumstances medical professionals cannot tell anyone what you are being treated for whether it be a stubbed toe or for alcohol cessation, and that includes your employer. I told my employer when I went to detox but I was planning on taking a month off at extremely short notice but that is me. I can only add to what everyone else has said in here. Detox under medical supervision. I detoxed in the hospital after going to the emergency room for the sole purpose of checking it to detox. If you can't get off of work try going towards the weekend or if you work weekends before your next days off. After detox, there are evening outpatient programs to accommodate work schedules near me. There might be one near you. Come hear in the meantime for support. It is scary to start but it is a chance to get your life back. You may be afraid of losing your job but if you are shaking now all the time how long do you think it is before your employer notices? Good luck! Hang in there.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thank you. The shakes are the small part. I'm getting jumpy, like if I think some is going to fall, anything on my desk or whatever, I over react and jump towards. I've even notice losing my sense of balance, no no while drinking. I have zero memory and zero appetite. I'm going to discuss this with my wife and get my job set up so I can be away for a week. I have sick days so my wife will just call in saying I'm in the hospital for unknown reasons..can you tell I've been dwelling on this all day? more physical things are starting to happen now and I scared of hitting a bottom I can't recover from with my wife and my job.

Thank you so much
Old 05-05-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome to the forum, DTOM!

I spent a few days in detox--followed up with 90 AA meetings in 90 days, and posted like crazy here on SoberRecovery. It seems to have worked (I'm at 18 months now).

Go for it!