Notices

what counts as a relapse?

Old 05-05-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what counts as a relapse?

is it trying and succeeding for a certain amount of time, then relapsing?
what i mean is, if i only manage a day, is this a relapse or is it too short a time to count?
i have failed after one or two days-is this a relapse or me just giving up?
Old 05-05-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I dont think it's a relapse because I dont consider not drinking for 2 days as being sober. I also dont think its giving up, this is hard and you need support and help.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think a relapse is after you've gotten past the physical addiction but give in to the mental aspect of the addiction.
Are you fighting to get past the physical part my friend?
It's very hard and sometimes people need help getting over some of the bumps on the road to recovery.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

For me the goal is sobriety, so any form of willful drinking goes against that goal. You can call it a relapse, a slip, an oops or whatever you want, but at the end of the day it's more important to figure out why you did it and how to not do do it again. Is it a failure? Perhaps a temporary one for the goal of not drinking today, but you still have the rest of today to correct it. You haven't given up and that's what's important.

Perhaps you should look more closely at what you have been doing specifically with your sobriety plan ( AA? AVRT? counseling? SR? etc ). Maybe you need to add something else?
Old 05-05-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Think of it as a break between drinks or you will drive yourself nuts. To relapse you would have had to change behaviour which would require tangible work on yourself then gradually slip from new behaviour into old again. People build up to drinking through relapse over time.

Imagine an illness that you have gotten treated and arrested and then it comes back some time later...that would be calked a relapse in medical terms.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I just call it taking a break in your drinking
Old 05-05-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't stress about what to call it. The goal is abstinence. Get to that goal by whatever means necessary.

-DrS
Old 05-05-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that it's not important what you call it.

What matters is finding a way to stop drinking and to recover.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Technically Sober means alcohol free. That might mean some time since the last drink, say 3-5 days. Having one drink would negate alcohol free.
Many of us needed help from various sources and time to sober up into a healthy person so hang in there and keep coming.

BE WELL
Old 05-05-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It takes most people a few run ups until we let go! Just keep on with days and extend! Some people find Mondays a good day and others Friday! Once the hard white knuckle ride is going with or without medical help and then keep going remember the feeling of pride in the morning ,even if your feeling flat tired is the thing to hold onto if an evening falls down keep away from the first drink.
Plan early evenings keep in touch here read books watch films and count those days , soon you'll be moving 5,7,10 14,15 so many great numbers close to each other that will be milestones. Then start getting ready for odd days and feelings they may appear they may not but you will have put more space between you and the last drink.
Keep going and don't plan on failing and starting again , but if that doesn't don't wait for that week or weekend to stop . Start again and soon enough things will be better , you will have money in your wallet and things will be clearer.
You can do it .
John
Old 05-05-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you should stop thinking about 'failing' smadams

It will take a little work and a little commitment, probably some changes too - but you can stay sober - do that and the issue of relapse is a moot one

D
Old 05-05-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I consider it to be any intentional alcohol consumption once you have made an honest commitment to quitting.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

I can't live a few days without alcohol. that was my alcoholism.

I can live without it today.

I think it's a sign of a problem--not being able to stay stopped