Notices

The good and the bad

Old 05-05-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The good and the bad

Well, I have been going to all of the AA meetings I can make. I've taken on 2 service positions. I bought the Big Book and the Twelve and Twelve. I picked up numbers. I asked 2 people to sponsor me, both were too busy so looking for someone else.

Yet I drank this weekend. Not a lot but enough to make me feel pretty down today. I am very disappointed in myself. Someone at a meeting this morning told me to just keep trying and persistence is key. But I feel like a failure and someone who may not make it according to How it Works.

I don't mean to sound like a pity party. I just want to put this out there in the spirit of honesty.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by snakes View Post
But I feel like a failure and someone who may not make it according to How it Works.
The chapter opens with, "RARELY HAVE we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path." (emphasis mine)

Pretty early in the program, snakes, to assume you have thoroughly followed the path. Thoroughly may take a little time. Don't dimiss yourself. Don't dismiss the path.

But also avail yourself to the support that is available. Did you call any of the numbers you picked up before you picked up the drink? Did you post to SR about your stuggles.

For recovery to work, whatever the program, you have to work it.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi snakes, can you sit down and work out why you drank? What was it that made you not want recovery enough? There are lots of possibilities there, but you have to really dig down. Once you know what you were thinking, you might be able to counteract those attitudes.