Notices

Dealing with an interesting phenomenon

Old 05-04-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with an interesting phenomenon

Now that I'm a couple of weeks into sobriety, I'm noticing a chill from acquaintances who are accustomed to seeing me buzzed. (FYI, I was pretty much constantly buzzed for a coupla years before a couple of weeks ago.) These are people I'm fond of, but don't socialize with; people I may go for months without seeing. I think the fondness is mutual but it's just weird the way social interactions are going for me these days. Welcome your experiences with this.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, for sure there were big changes for me in the early days.

I had to remove a couple of people from my life because I felt they were toxic to me. I began new and different activities and so met new people and alcohol was not part of the equation.

I think if you are getting a chill from acquaintances because you aren't drinking, it's a sign to move on.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My take is different- I view it as me noticing things I did not notice when jacked up on pills. Same thing with noticing tempertures more- and food cravings. It is me- being that I am in a different place.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well..you are ALL around someone different these days. It would be impossible to be the same.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That feels like part of it, anykey.. like I'm picking up on cues I was oblivious to before. Or maybe being the life of the party isn't my forte these days...
Old 05-04-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You may have to make some new friends now that you don't drink anymore. People who drink often don't understand why anyone would choose not to drink.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I find it quite funny how people react when you turn down a drink, they give you that 'what the f*** is wrong with you?' look. I think that makes me stronger as I feel like people become a slave to alcohol and you can get a great sense of achievement by realising that you don't need alcohol to enjoy life and when you're high on alcohol then you're not really experiencing anything because you're not yourself.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When you get sober, for some people you're an unpleasant reminder of their own drinking-related issues. Or maybe your sobering up has demonstrated a heretofore unknown strength of character to people who had written you off as a harmless drunk of no consequence, and now they are forced to reassess that characterization. Or maybe they never liked you or treated you well and you were just too drunk to notice. Or perhaps they're really aliens, hiding in human bodies, and they're afraid that your change of character is because you've caught on to their charade.

Could be a lot of things.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notmyrealname View Post
Or perhaps they're really aliens, hiding in human bodies, and they're afraid that your change of character is because you've caught on to their charade.
Perhaps, indeed! Thanks for that perspective, thanks to all who've chimed in. It's helping me when I need help and I appreciate it.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovemesomeokra View Post
Now that I'm a couple of weeks into sobriety, I'm noticing a chill from acquaintances who are accustomed to seeing me buzzed. (FYI, I was pretty much constantly buzzed for a coupla years before a couple of weeks ago.) These are people I'm fond of, but don't socialize with; people I may go for months without seeing. I think the fondness is mutual but it's just weird the way social interactions are going for me these days. Welcome your experiences with this.
In my early recovery I got a lot of that too! But it wears off. I don't think many people had seen me for years without a drink either so I guess it's natural. Theones that don't get it at all are the ones that tell me " well we'll see you when you lose the ankle bracelet I have on , and I tell them yeah you will but I still won't be drinking" Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 05-04-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I posted earlier. Apparently kit didn't take....
notmyrealname, funny you should mention aliens, you look quite natural in that suit.
Okra. I was thinking maybe because of your recent change, you are more aware a d guarded. You may become very self conscious. It is after all your coming out party. You wish to make a good impression ... or you feel that everyone is judging you. Or maybe they think you're an alien.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh, and Anna... the chill I'm getting is from sober (presumably to me) people I bump into. Like I say, it's weird, just having to adjust my head.