Notices

Will I ever be the same again?

Old 05-04-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will I ever be the same again?

I smoked weed for 5 years. I quit 7 months ago. After I quit I went into a sever depression. Loss of interest in everything. No motivation to live life. I lost my sense of humor, my personality everything. I thought by now I would have everything back. How long does it take for the brain to recover? Will I ever been the same again?
Old 05-04-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

there are many variables that go into the equation for how long it takes the brain to recover. hopefully another pothead can help you with that.
As for ever being the same, probably not. For me alcohol was my enemy. Once I quit alcohol the enemy became me. I became a creature of habit who forgot how to live normally. This was probably from an early age. So I doubt - I certainly hope - that I will not be the same. I hope to be better than I was. I guess it all depends on what you consider to be 'the same'.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

im not a pothead anymore

Yeah I'm not a pothead anymore, have't touched the stuff in 7 months. When I say the same I mean will my brain ever go back to normal? Will I have interests in things or get enjoyment out of things again. Will I get my motivation back like I used to before I started smoking weed. But no definatly not a pothead anymore.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Also, I guess when I mean "the same again" I mean how I was before I started smoking weed, I used to have interest in things, I would enjoy things, I was very ambitious with a lot of goals, I had my dream career. I had a lot going for me, but I quit everything to smoke pot all day. Yes I used to be a big pothead, something I am very ashamed of. I'm not anymore, I left the stuff behind me, I just want to be how I was before pot so I can enjoy life again. I just want my life back.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. What you're describing sounds like depression to me. Perhaps get a complete check up with your doctor to rule out physical causes.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I drank for so long when I originally quit I couldn't have told you what normal "should" feel like.

I always think it's good to check with a doctor for stuff like this. Could be depression, could be anhedonia. No use suffering needlessly if there is something they can give you to help give you some relief.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you considered talking to your dr about the possibility of depression? It could be something to think about.

I really hope that you find some peace.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Whoa Sparky calm down. Okay Ex-pot head. I guess I'm an EX-alcoholic then.
there is no reason to believe you won't be back to your old chipper self again with a renewed enthusiasm in your past interests. Perhaps it would be a benefit a d assuring to you to hear this from another individual who invested as much time enjoying the herbage as you did and subsequently cleaned up. Basically, ask another pothead.

By the way, congratulations for chosing sobriety and sticking with it for 7 months. I wish continued success for you.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Matt

I smoked pot daily for 30 years but I didn't experience anything like what you're experiencing, and certainly not for 7 months.

I think seeing a Dr would be my next move?

D
Old 05-04-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I really believe that talking to someone experienced in depression and a doctor would be a great idea, get some blood work done.
30 years ago I gave up drugs...it took me two years to recovery, I started out really positive and ended up quite depressed..it turned out that the reason was not just the readjustments that my brain and body had to make without the use of chemicals but I had a virus, Epstein barr virus..it was like a back ground virus that made me tired and sad and indifferent to life...
Old 05-04-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

See your doctor. I suspect the quitting has nothing to do with your current condition. But either way, it would be best to see your doctor. Personally, I have no long term experience with pot. The way you've described your current, sober emotions is how I felt when I smoked weed. I came to hate the stuff.