Notices

fighting the urge

Old 05-03-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

fighting the urge

Was a work yesterday, and about noon, I was pretty much set on picking up a six-pack for the night. Luckily, I had time to think this through and didn't. I figured one of two things would happen. Either I would just drink for the one night (not likely), then be in a rotten mood the next day having to fight the urge to drink for "just one more day", which always leads to at least a lost week, or not drink and just have to deal with the feeling bummed that I can't drink. Chose the latter, but wasn't easy. Doesn't feel like a victory for some reason. Kinda ticked off about it really. Believe it or not, I kinda regret my decision, but know it was the right thing to do. Not "begging for hugs" as one poster PM'd me. Just wanted to put this out there.
Will be seeing a new therapist on Monday. Tired of beating up on myself for no reason. Hopefully, that will help me see things in a more positive way.

Hope you're all having a great weekend!!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would see it as a victory, you didn't open the door to that lost week and your not feeling regret today for having drank yesterday.

I do think though you need to address that feeling of being down because you can't drink, hopefully Monday might be a way forward on that front, we've all had to start looking for the other positives in life, alcohol is not the deal breaker to a happy and fulfilled life.

If alcohol had never been invented or we never knew it existed would we be able to be happy? . . . I believe so, that question puts things into perspective, clinging on to what created so much misery in our lives is a real hurdle to get over for all of us, but you'll get there!!
Old 05-03-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sometimes when I go to the store, I see the candy bars in the checkout isle and want one, but I don't. By the time I'm home I've forgotten about it.

The cravings for alcohol will diminish to that level over time. Where you're at right now they have a lot of momentum to them and are really hard to get past. It's never a good feeling to feel like you NEED to have alcohol or drugs to have a good night, but it won't stay that way if you stay sober.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

way to go toomuch, keep strong.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice going, 2much; proud of you.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes you did fantastic Hun xx that's the only way we can stop the viscous circle xxxx
Old 05-03-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Been to AA yet? There is a solution there for when you have had enough fighting:-)
Old 05-03-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good job 2much. Remember all that you've been through - you don't want to take the chance of returning to that awful place. You're doing great - we believe in you.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Been to AA yet? There is a solution there for when you have had enough fighting:-)
Been going to AA for a while now.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Been going to AA for a while now.
I thought you had! Have you got a sponsor and started the steps? The steps are the solution to the mental obsession/urges/cravings.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tried getting a sponsor. One relapsed and disappeared. Another one never came through with what he said he would do. The third one tried to convert me to his religion. Didn't matter, he eventually came into a lot of money from the military on some disability thing, and moved. Haven't tried since. Just going to meetings right now.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you didn't give in and drink.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Way to go 2Much, next time PM me , i'll buy your 6pack(of Soda)! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby