Notices

New to group

Old 05-03-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wife of an alcoholic

New to group

Hello, I am married to a functioning alcoholic and seeking Godly support for myself so that I can be a positive support for him without enabling his addiction. We've been married 26.5 years. Thankfully he is not abusive in any way; he's a loving father and husband and always makes sure we are provided for. Unfortunately he is depressed and spends most of his weekend drunk and sleeping. It's so sad to watch. 3 of our 4 children are adults and living on their own. I'm finding it lonely now that my roll as mother is lessening. Not sure where I fit in or what I am to do. So here I am seeking friendships and support from those going through the same thing I am.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I'd suggest you take a look at our friends and family forum for further insight from people in your situation.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 05-03-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Kudos to you for reaching out. You have come to the right place. I cannot relate or can offer similar experiences.

I these forums treats you well--they are a variety to choose from (and I do believe there is one for Familes and Friends, which you can find when you scroll down from the Forums page: The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com)

Has he mentioned looking for a way to seek help? If so, this could be an opening to offer a suggestion or two. I'd like others' opinions on this. Obviously you know him best and can predict how he takes advice.

Lots of love, take care
Old 05-03-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by GIMS View Post
Hello, I am married to a functioning alcoholic and seeking Godly support for myself so that I can be a positive support for him without enabling his addiction. We've been married 26.5 years. Thankfully he is not abusive in any way; he's a loving father and husband and always makes sure we are provided for. Unfortunately he is depressed and spends most of his weekend drunk and sleeping. It's so sad to watch. 3 of our 4 children are adults and living on their own. I'm finding it lonely now that my roll as mother is lessening. Not sure where I fit in or what I am to do. So here I am seeking friendships and support from those going through the same thing I am.
Hi, you will always find a support group right here at any time, it makes me think more about myself when I was drinking and the effect on others in my family. We tend to think of ourselves without realising the greater Impact. But alcoholics tend to be a bit self centred I certainly was.
I'm sorry you feel this way at the moment and I hope things can improve for you both.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome GIMS

You'll find a lot of help and support in this forum too

have you been to ALAnon?

D
Old 05-03-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you GIMS. I hope being here will help you feel less alone.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Wife of an alcoholic

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome GIMS

You'll find a lot of help and support in this forum too

have you been to ALAnon?

D
I have not been to alanon because there really isn't a good choice where is live. I think there were two available and both were only offered during my working hours.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well were glad you found us. Stick around and definitely check on the friends and family forum link provided earlier by a member.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! you'll find loads of support here!!