Notices

Struggling...

Old 05-02-2014, 10:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling...

I feel like I'm really struggling with sobriety the last few days and I have no idea why. The first 3-4 weeks my energy was in the toilet and I was unhappy about that--but now my energy seems to be back to relative normal and I'm finding myself feeling way less excited about sobriety and thinking about drinking a lot more. I don't think there are any major stressors in my life right now that are triggering me. Any thoughts/advice?
Old 05-02-2014, 10:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Kitkat331 View Post
I feel like I'm really struggling with sobriety the last few days and I have no idea why. The first 3-4 weeks my energy was in the toilet and I was unhappy about that--but now my energy seems to be back to relative normal and I'm finding myself feeling way less excited about sobriety and thinking about drinking a lot more. I don't think there are any major stressors in my life right now that are triggering me. Any thoughts/advice?

What you are experiencing is what I went through in my first couple of weeks up until about 1 month, just initially I had no energy at all even to do the smallest of tasks, but it does pass as does the lack of excitement etc as these are just your body adapting to life without the toxins, just hang in there you will feel better soon enough.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you looked at this link KitKat? It may help with the cravings

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

what about joining a monthly support group thread here - April or May?
Support can really help in vulnerable times

D
Old 05-03-2014, 12:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I found this to be true when I first quit. It doesn't have to be related to stressors in your life. When I started feeling better the initial pain of drinking and how I felt afterward faded and I started to think that maybe I wasn't so bad. Maybe I could drink with moderation. But that was just a lie I told myself. I picked up with drinking after ten and a half months sober and found myself right back where I was. I'm back and have five plus months now and i try every day not to forget the pain drinking caused. I can't ever allow myself to be fooled into thinking to myself that one will ever be enough.

This time around I did things differently. Eating better. Getting more involved in different things. I attend AA and am more involved than I was before. Hang in there. It helped me to think about the reasons why I quit. What I was grateful for that I didn't have to worry about anymore that I was taking for granted. Like waking up without feeling sick. Or smelling like alcohol at work. Support is crucial. Come here and read and post. What else are you doing for sobriety?
Old 05-03-2014, 12:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
I found this to be true when I first quit. It doesn't have to be related to stressors in your life. When I started feeling better the initial pain of drinking and how I felt afterward faded and I started to think that maybe I wasn't so bad. Maybe I could drink with moderation. But that was just a lie I told myself. I picked up with drinking after ten and a half months sober and found myself right back where I was. I'm back and have five plus months now and i try every day not to forget the pain drinking caused. I can't ever allow myself to be fooled into thinking to myself that one will ever be enough.

This time around I did things differently. Eating better. Getting more involved in different things. I attend AA and am more involved than I was before. Hang in there. It helped me to think about the reasons why I quit. What I was grateful for that I didn't have to worry about anymore that I was taking for granted. Like waking up without feeling sick. Or smelling like alcohol at work. Support is crucial. Come here and read and post. What else are you doing for sobriety?

Well put Ruby2, and a great lesson for all of us that we can never let our guard down in this fight. Well done on your 5 months plus, great job.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It happens to the best of us. After my Navy stint last year, which ended due to conditions unrelated to my addiction, I got healed up, moneyed up, and was thinking how cool I was for going from a thirty (30) day binge to joining the Navy in five months, I went on a ten day binge myself. I'd forgotten any sense of humility from being evicted from my apartment and staying in a shelter, being taken to collections for several hundred dollars by the bank, and being all but excommunicated from my family. At the time, I had even thought there was a chance I could get back in the service. All that went away because I chose not to keep fighting my addiction.

Even today, only five days in, most of my PHYSICAL discomfort has passed, and it'd be easy to think it wasn't THAT bad. Never mind that on Monday I nearly killed myself with a combination of booze, DayQuil and codeine...

Fight the good fight. You aren't alone.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

read this and see if any of it sounds familiar. This is why I quit. Good luck

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...c-routine.html
Old 05-15-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say thank you to you guys for this support--it really helped me get through a difficult day. Things have been going much better the last couple weeks. I really appreciate knowing I you guys in my pocket any time of the day.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to hear things are better KitKat

Does that mean you're back on the sober train?

D
Old 05-15-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're doing better. Learning to live sober takes time. Be kind to yourself. You are healing every day.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Does that mean you're back on the sober train?

D
Haha, I did not actually get off the train I just thought about it. I'm on day 46!