Notices

Either change or be condemed to stay the same

Old 05-02-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Either change or be condemed to stay the same

I have been thinking a lot about change lately and the critical role it plays in my sobriety past and present.

I have found being open to change is one of the corner stones of my sobriety. In the beginning I had to change just about everything. No drinking situations, new friends, and new activities. Trying to salvage my old life was impossible I had to rebuild a new life from the ground up but without the willingness to change this never would have happened.

A few 24 hrs later I see that the willingness to change is just as important. There parts of my life that are not working but being the stubborn ass that I am I keep doing the same things over and over but expecting different results. If my solutions did work yesterday chances are they are not going to work today.

I have discovered in sobriety the more I resist trying something new the more I need to do. If someone suggests something and I get angry that is sure sign I need to really examine this solution because when I feel threatened there is some underlying cause.

As much as I do not like change if I am not moving forward I am moving backward
Old 05-02-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks, great post. For me recovery is all about change. Most important the way I act and my beliefs. I fear change and my ego tries to convince me not to change. But walking through the fear and at times pain of change have been very beneficial to my sobriety and life.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As a person gets older- they resist change.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Reminds me of what I've been hearing a lot. "The same person will drink again".