Notices

The Hawk and The Mouse

Old 05-02-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

The Hawk and The Mouse

I was driving to work yesterday and it was barely light outside. I was nearing an off-ramp next to a park, very wooded area. Along the side of the road in the grass I could see something skimming about 6-8 inches above the ground and I couldn't figure out what it was. When I was about to pass it I could see it was a hawk in pursuit of a small creature, maybe a mole or a mouse... RUNNING for it's life. I didn't see what happened after that.

It reminded me of me. When I make the choice to not drink (at least for today) I get this overall sensation of freedom, and it feels so awesome. It's like now I can do all those things that I love and enjoy instead of wasting my night drinking. Like the mouse, running free in the grass. Then night comes... and it's like that hawk after me. I'm running but then I just am overcome by that urge to pour a drink.

Well today I'm not going to let myself be overcome. The hawk isn't going to get me today.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Great analogy. Keep going! Sounds like you are determined enough to do this.

Me...I'm such a codie, I'd probably have jumped out of the car and tried to shoo off the hawk.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I could compare the hawk like my AV, waiting patiently like a hunter.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good analogy, SoulKat.

I remember the feeling of vulnerability so well.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

SoulKat - I've been the mouse hundreds of times - and hundreds of times the hawk caught me. Except for the last time! I'm still the mouse running free in the grass. You will be too.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by SoulKat View Post
I was driving to work yesterday and it was barely light outside. I was nearing an off-ramp next to a park, very wooded area. Along the side of the road in the grass I could see something skimming about 6-8 inches above the ground and I couldn't figure out what it was. When I was about to pass it I could see it was a hawk in pursuit of a small creature, maybe a mole or a mouse... RUNNING for it's life. I didn't see what happened after that.

It reminded me of me. When I make the choice to not drink (at least for today) I get this overall sensation of freedom, and it feels so awesome. It's like now I can do all those things that I love and enjoy instead of wasting my night drinking. Like the mouse, running free in the grass. Then night comes... and it's like that hawk after me. I'm running but then I just am overcome by that urge to pour a drink.

Well today I'm not going to let myself be overcome. The hawk isn't going to get me today.

Great post, and much like the mouse, we must never drop our guard too.