Notices

Help please

Old 05-01-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help please

Hello, I am completely new at this whole thing, and like all of you, never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would be here. I have just come to the realization that I have a problem with oxycodone, as ridiculous as it may sound seen as I've been taking them for a good year now.

It just became very clear the other day that I have a big problem here when my doctor is giving me prescriptions for 60 5mg oxy's every 4 days, and I'm actually going through all of them... And I'm scared. I don't want to live like this anymore...having a micro size blue pill rule my daily life, dictating what I can and cannot do depending on if I will have enough oxy's to get me through the weekend.

I have never spoken up about this to anyone, and I'm not sure what to do my Doctor thinks I'm taking 8 a day, but in reality it's more like 15.... Should I be honest with her? Should I tell her everything and ask for help or is this something I could do at home on my own? (Detox I mean) if I am without ATLEAST 2 in the morning I get the shakes, diarrhea, nausea and muscle aches... And that is just from not having them in the morning until around noon!! If someone could help please help me, and offer any advice, I would greatly GREATLY appreciate it. Thank you so much...
Old 05-01-2014, 10:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Erin

I personally have no experience with oxys but I think being honest with your Dr would be a great first step.

You'll find a lot of help and experience here too

D
Old 05-01-2014, 11:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi Erin - Glad you are here. I think it would be a good idea for you to talk to your Doctor. Glad you are making a decision to ask for help & know that you want a better life for yourself.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi Erinbb, welcome to SR
Old 05-02-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Erin! Welcome to the forum! There is a lot of support here if you keep posting.

You're story doesn't sound ridiculous, it sounds very serious. We all know what it feels like to be a slave to drugs or alcohol. Getting honest with your doctor sounds like a good start.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Honesty is the most important thing.

I would maybe try another doctor. Any doctor who prescribes 60 pills and four days later does it again should have his/her certificate yanked, IMO.

Keep reading here in the Substance Abuse forum. Lots of people have kicked Oxy. You can do it! A little discomfort is to be expected.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Erin, welcome to SR! I agree with everyone else, be honest with you doctor. Although that sometimes seems hard, you will be surprised that the Dr. will be more understanding than you think. Start there and see what he/she says. They might just want you to taper down before quitting, thereby reducing the withdrawal symptoms.

You will find lots of help and support here. Please keep posting.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Erin!
I also think it would be good for you to come clean to your dr. S/he will know best how to help you. Its great that you are taking responsibility and are ready to change.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello- that Dr would lose their license in just about every state.

It is up to you to reduce your pills. Dont wait for the dr to do it- take control of your life and wean yourself down.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Hi Erin, I too had/have an oxy problem, much worse than yours so know you can beat this.
First let me ask you why are you taking them? Do you have pain or is it just a habit now?
Start by weaning your self off them slowly, take one less every day or two. If you cant resist the urge to take them do you have someone you trust to hold them for you to ration you?
Then when you see your doctor be honest with him/her, if you are getting them for pain the two of you can try other treatments for it.
I am only on day 20 clean and sober but I don't plan on ever going back. Also my addiction was a lot worse than yours is. It will only get worse over time, that is how mine got out of hand. You can do this there are others here that have gone through the same thing. It is not gonna be easy but you can do it.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. There is a lot of support and information. I am glad you are here!
Old 05-02-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi Erin, welcome to the SR.

There are definitely better options for pain management...and so many potential things wrong with what you are being prescribed that I am actually speechless.

You definitely are NOT alone and is really great that you are talking about it!!

I'm day3 without alcohol, new to SR and new to not trying to do things alone anymore.

This is a great place to be! Stick around and hug to you.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AlmA

Dear Erinbb,

I am NOT addicted to the Oxi but to Benzodiazepine plus alcohol and pot.

I understand you completely, the panic when you are running out...
and your head starts how to get hold of more.

Do not be ashamed!!!
There are thousands of people hooked in Oxi
but they do not go with a sign hanging of their necks!!!

You need to tell your doctor (they hear it more often than you think trust me!!!)
you are overtaking pills and are loosing control
and you are starting to get anxious
that you need to stop the treatment
slowly as you are having second side effects
and start some other pain killer. Maybe try natural remedies, acupuncture,...

If you can not stop by yourself with the help of your doctor,
you will need to get extra help in some health centre for Oxi addict.
Search on Internet, this is a difficult addiction to come off alone.
You need help ASAP!

I flash away nearly 70 pills last Saturday, I nearly cried!!!
But I have medication from a drug centre to control the anxiety and the withdraw.

YOU REALLY NEED TO TELL YOUR DOCTOR TO COME OFF.
IT CAN BE DANGEROUS!!!
Old 05-02-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you

Thank you all for your advice... I really needed to hear what I should do. This is a very scary and lonely place to be in right now, for I really don't want to bring my stresses onto the lives of others, so I just don't talk about it to anyone.

I do suffer from lower left back pain and have for over a year now... I have been a guinea pig in that I've been put through every thing imaginable trying to figure out what it is. They have now narrowed it down to maofascial pain which I get trigger point injections for (which aggravates my back even more) and I've tried Physio and a chiropractor is next. They also believe it could be my SI Joint is not working properly on my right side so my left side is overcompensating for my right😳 it's all so frustrating... But waking up feeling pain everyday of my life at 36 is horrible. I also suffer from chronic migraines which I take topiramate for. AND I am allergic to ibuprofen soooo that is where the oxycodone came into my life 😪

I feel like I can't even taper down... Like I don't have the will power to do so... But maybe now that I have found a sounding board such as this I may be able to do so?? I just don't know how to cope with the pain once I'm off of them and lead a normal life??

Once again, thank you everyone for your responses... I truly TRULY appreciate every one... ☺
Old 05-02-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by anykey View Post
Hello- that Dr would lose their license in just about every state.

It is up to you to reduce your pills. Dont wait for the dr to do it- take control of your life and wean yourself down.
That sounds like medical advice to me. We are not doctors and shouldn't be telling anyone to 'wean themselves off" of anything! It's much safer to ask the doctor's help.

Welcome to the family.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
AlmA

Good morning Erimnbb,

You need to do something about it!
Please get help!!!
We will be here to support u but u need to find where u can go for help! Ur not the only one nothing to ashamed!

Hope u find the way to come out and ur back gets better.

Big hug,
Aiko
Old 05-02-2014, 11:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder guys - personal experience only please.

Under our rules, we cannot give medical advice.

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician
D