Notices

Wanted to Slip... but got a wake up call today!

Old 04-30-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wanted to Slip... but got a wake up call today!

I have been having a great week. Back at work, coming home cooking for my son (he is in his first year of college) and rebuilding a broken relationship with him.

Went to work this morning, feeling great but thought "Maybe I can have a glass of wine tonight to celebrate how well I am doing"

Fast forward to work: One of the contracted "Evaluators" came to test one of my students... So I asked, "Did you enjoy your Week off?" Her response "It was nice. Well, actually it is was not."

Her 21 year old little cousin (an alcoholic and weed smoker), called his mother and said alcohol and weed was taking over his life and wanted help. His mom called around to get him into an inpatient facility (a facility he has went to before). They told her they would have a bed tomorrow.

He decided to go out one last time with his friends and get drunk and high. When he got home he fell out of his truck and hit his head. His drunk buddies picked him up and carried him into the house and put him in his bed.

His parents found him the next morning in a pool of blood, dead. I was speechless! Tears just rolled down my face...... I told her I was an alcoholic in recovery! The first time I actually got those words out of my mouth!

I still don't have any words except that the pain on her face made me reflect how alcohol tears family apart and has torn my immediate family apart as well!!!

Finished Day 4 without even wanting to see an alcoholic bottle!

Just want to Share!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A frightening reality. Thank you for sharing this story, Shalette.

Although relapses can be a learning experience, they are not suggested. Many don't come back.
I am proud of you for being open and honest with her. That took much courage. I am also very glad you changed your plans. God works in mysterious ways, indeed.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It could be anyone of us, or anyone we love.
It certainly, easily, could have been me.

I'm glad you changed your mind Shalette.

D
Old 04-30-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StormiNormi View Post
A frightening reality. Thank you for sharing this story, Shalette.

Although relapses can be a learning experience, they are not suggested. Many don't come back.
I am proud of you for being open and honest with her. That took much courage. I am also very glad you changed your plans. God works in mysterious ways, indeed.
Yes he does!!!!! Thanks
Old 04-30-2014, 10:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hugs! Hugs!
Old 04-30-2014, 11:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is so sad. Congrats on not picking up. That poor kids parents must be devastated.