Notices

23 yrs old 9 months sober need to vent

Old 04-30-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

23 yrs old 9 months sober need to vent

Hi all,

Been awhile since I posted on here. I believe the last time I did was when I was around 4 months sober and struggling with my idea of sobriety and what the right approach was for me. Pertaining to my sobriety now, I'm 23 years old and over 9 months without a drink or drug (sober date July 29, 2013) and happy to say that. I don't follow a program per se, but I meditate daily, keep up with my creative vocations (music and screenwriting) and just try to be a good person.

I'm about to graduate college and though I am seriously determined about what I want to do with the rest of my life, I'm anxious about how I'm going to facilitate these goals. More than anything, that is the root of my fortunate troubles right now that is manifesting itself in bouts of depression and anxiety.

I'm mostly worrying about my health as of late. Since 2011, I've been diagnosed with tinnitus/mild to severe hearing loss, carpal tunnel, tarsal tunnel, some sort of a sternum injury, a cyst in my ear and wrist, chronic sinusitis and sebhorreic dermatitis. My doctor things all of these are just symptoms of fibromyalgia. Some of these conditions have progressed while others have remained stagnant since their onset.

I'm actually going to stop here though I thought I had more to write. I feel like I'm pitying myself right now, which is an ongoing conscious battle I'm fighting on a regular basis as I'm sure many of you relate to. The nerve pain just sucks today, that's all. Anyway, thanks for reading those that do. Have a good night!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome back Paul!

I am sorry for your difficult situation. You're not alone, and maybe posting here more often will help.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Paul, oh I wish I had have had your insight and strength to quit in my 20's, you've done brilliant!

I found a void living without drinking, although it's great being sober, I am learning to recover from it. The things I buried with drink are coming back clearer and I was advised not to do any life changing events until at least a year sober. Good advice, I have heeded.

Have you thought about having a chat with your doctor, it can't hurt and there may be some help/advice he can steer you to.

Well done again.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Paul
Just re read my post and I meant have you spoke to the doc about your anxieties and depression.
I've gone to the docs and not told him what I went for so now if it is something I have difficulty speaking about I write it down and if I get a mental block at the focus I hand him what I have written.

Well done again.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello Paul,

Really sorry to hear about your health issues. But WELL DONE on 9 months!

Feel free to vent here any time you feel the urge (but also feel free to vent here about your success stories, such as 9 months - self-rewards can be good for the spirit!)

All the best,

Bruce.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just imagine how much more these symptoms would bother you if you were still drinking....Congrats on your 9months!!
Old 05-01-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am truly sorry for all the health problems you're dealing with. I know what you mean by self-pity--we do become experts at it! I'm no different unfortunately. I'm very busy, about to graduate and dealing with depression.

First of all, give yourself credit for the positive changes. If you meditate with the serenity prayer in mind, I think you'll be just fine because you seem like a strong, mature person.

Keep up the good work and thanks for posting--it's giving me strength today.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on nine months sober!
Old 05-01-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 9 months Paul

I think despair and fear are different to self pity

You're a young man - I think you have every chance of managing or getting your various health issues under control...don't lose heart

D
Old 05-01-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on 9 months! We're about the same age and I too am in school struggling with my life plans. Everyone I've talked to tells me that their twenties were an anxious and stressful time and the best thing you can do is to be easy on yourself. It's something I haven't quite figured out yet myself, but it's something that I've been trying to work on every day.

Good luck figuring things out! And venting always helps!
Old 05-01-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses everyone! It means a lot.

Mags, I have spoken to the doctor about my anxiety and depression issues which of course go hand-in-hand with the physical problems. I actually see a psychologist on a weekly basis which helps. Oh, and writing down what I'm seeing the doctor about before I actually go and having it with me is a must!

Bruce, will do on posting about my success with 9 months. I've had many good things happen thus far!

mejorando, congrats on graduating! i do try to appreciate as much as possible the good that's come from sobriety, I mostly just lose track of it when I'm trying to push myself creatively. Something I need to keep in mind. Thanks!

rockstonic, yeah, my 20s are shaping up to be questionable at the very least. Just gotta stay invigorated and passionate about what it is you want to do, whether it's in a career or just generally in life.

Just to close this out, I gotta say that one of the more important components to my sobriety (and at times one of the more unappreciated) is being able to gain and maintain friendships. I don't really attend AA, but it was a great place in the first few months of sobriety to go to and see the potential that there is in being there for someone else in ways less significant to absolutely life-changing. I've had the opportunity while being sober to allow people to see the best I could possibly be thus allowing myself to form honest, wholesome relationships with them. All good stuff.

Have a good night everyone.