Notices

Anxiety, your symptoms, your solutions

Old 04-30-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety, your symptoms, your solutions

I was just wondering, I am just over 7 months sober and my anxiety has decreased significantly. It was the reason I quit. I was having attacks that were landing me in the ER monthly, thinking I was having a heart attack. It seems mine have always mostly been nocturnal. I wake suddenly with the worst chills ever that my entire body shakes and my teeth chatter. This goes on for at least 5 to 10 minutes. My entire body will tingle, and I get the urge to go to the ER because I think something is seriously wrong. I do find taking a hot bath before I go to bed helps me get through the night. I still am dealing with dizziness and I am wondering if that is stress manifesting, as I used to drink nightly to relieve that. I am seeing every Doctor possible and running all testing, I am very proactive. To the point I think my primary care Doctor might think I am a little coo coo. It just seems like I haven't heard anyone say or post about different body changes during recovery. That would in turn help me to feel I am no alone. I am not looking for medical advise, I am under the care of a Doctor. Just if others would share what they go through and what they do to try and relieve it.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In general I avoid placing myself in high stress situations. Stores and crowds freak me out- so I shop where I dont have to walk all day and can get in and out fast. Sometimes I even order online.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Deep breathing helps me.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have you tried cutting out caffeine?
I love your screen name BTW!

Last edited by ChickChick; 04-30-2014 at 01:38 PM. Reason: I can't spell!
Old 04-30-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rar

I've had anxiety for many years. As my drinking increased so did my anxiety during the night. I would actually jump out of bed in a panic. Then I would come downstairs and eat something to calm me down. I sure am glad I never drank during the night. Like you, my anxiety has decreased significantly. Though I no longer wake in a panic, I've gotten into the habit of eating something, which seems to calm me down and help me to sleep. I've discussed it with my doctor and he seems to disregard it, probably because I don't have a weight problem.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

- meditation
- exercise
- good nutrition

quitting alcohol is one of the best ways to curb anxiety. it has worked for me as a long term solution. but as i learned anxiety is simply manifestation of a dis-balanced state of your body.. that's how it comes out in us, humans... as anxiety. no wonder it was so bad for me when i was drowning myself in liquor and slowly killing off my body parts. (yeah things were out of balance).
my body was trying to tell me something. i should've listened and adjusted sooner, but that would be too difficult for me benzos + liquor worked much easier and faster.

but we weren't really designed to live in this chaos of modern world when we have 2 work meetings, and 3 deadlines, 17 new facebooks posts to check, texts to answer and write, bills to pay, house to keep, things to fix, dinner to cook... etc. not to mention pollution and other stressors that we don't event notice. i'd say any human being will experience anxiety and stress at this point. (no real need to pour alcohol on top of all that).

but how to change this? this was very annoying to me. until somebody gave me a simple but very powerful advice, don't change anything.. just add more positive "stuff" to your life.

simple example:
instead of trying to find closest parking spot to the supermarket and stressing out about 17 people doing the same... park as far possible and take a walk for 20 feet. remove the stress, add the benefit.
looking for little things like this i've found many solutions right in front me. nutrition and research on some super foods was another major personal "break-through".
Old 04-30-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Chick chick I don't use caffeine, not a coffee or tea drinker. Stopped soda when I quit drinking. Maybe more trips to Disney would reduce my stress! Wonder if I can get a script for that from the Doctor!!lol maybe insurance would cover it???