Notices

A String of Pearls Not Lost

Old 04-30-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A String of Pearls Not Lost

Good Morning Friends,

Today marks my 1 year anniversary of sobriety! As a way to celebrate this special day, I am wearing a string of pearls that belonged to my grandmother that I received after she passed away many years ago.

Aside from the fact these pearls belonged to my grandmother, they are special to me because this was the only piece of jewelry (aside from my wedding rings) that survived my active alcoholism. You see, when I was drinking, we often had no money to pay the bills because I was spending all our money on alcohol. As a result, I became a frequenter of pawn shops. Selling anything of worth....the diamond necklace I received from my husband our first Christmas married, the diamond earrings he gave me for our first wedding anniversary, the gold locket necklace I received from him for my first mother's day, and the list goes on.

I would love to claim that the pearls were too beloved for me to sell, but in truth, I did bring them to the pawn shop, but apparently there is not much market for pearls and they didn't offer me anything worth taking. So my grandmothers pearls survived. I am so grateful they did, and chose today to wear them as a symbol, that in addition to the pearls surviving my alcoholism...so will I!!!

My life has changed so very dramatically, and I can't even begin to tell you how much happier and healthier I am today 1 year later. Thank you SR for being here for me every step of the way, you have been, and continue to be a source of strength and support that has helped in saving my life....and my grandmother's pearls, so THANK YOU!

Blessings to all!
Old 04-30-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Dollyangel17 View Post
Good Morning Friends,

Today marks my 1 year anniversary of sobriety! As a way to celebrate this special day, I am wearing a string of pearls that belonged to my grandmother that I received after she passed away many years ago.

Aside from the fact these pearls belonged to my grandmother, they are special to me because this was the only piece of jewelry (aside from my wedding rings) that survived my active alcoholism. You see, when I was drinking, we often had no money to pay the bills because I was spending all our money on alcohol. As a result, I became a frequenter of pawn shops. Selling anything of worth....the diamond necklace I received from my husband our first Christmas married, the diamond earrings he gave me for our first wedding anniversary, the gold locket necklace I received from him for my first mother's day, and the list goes on.

I would love to claim that the pearls were too beloved for me to sell, but in truth, I did bring them to the pawn shop, but apparently there is not much market for pearls and they didn't offer me anything worth taking. So my grandmothers pearls survived. I am so grateful they did, and chose today to wear them as a symbol, that in addition to the pearls surviving my alcoholism...so will I!!!

My life has changed so very dramatically, and I can't even begin to tell you how much happier and healthier I am today 1 year later. Thank you SR for being here for me every step of the way, you have been, and continue to be a source of strength and support that has helped in saving my life....and my grandmother's pearls, so THANK YOU!

Blessings to all!
Exceptional milestone achieved, you should be very proud of yourself.
A great example set. Thank you for your post.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A beautiful post, and beautifully inspirational story, Dolly. Many congratulations!
Old 04-30-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Beautiful story! Having spent a lot of my life in the south, a girl's pearls are priceless!!! And so is sobriety, congratulations!!!
Old 04-30-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, Dolly, what a story; thank you for sharing. Congratulations on a year of sobriety. Wear those pearls with pride, Dolly; hope each pearl on that strand represents a blessing in your life.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great story. I was a frequenter of pawn shops, too. Basically sold everything I owned several times over.
But, enough about that. This is about you, so CONGRATULATIONS on a year!!
I wish you many more.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats, Dolly. I am so glad your grandmothers pearls are with you. Who, knows the story behind her pearls may be sweet as well.

What a wonderful milestone! Great job, and thanks for being her , for others as well.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober years!
Old 04-30-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dolly!!! That story gave me chills, what a beautiful way to honor your grandmother and celebrate your one year! I'm so proud of you. We started this crazy thing together, and for some strange gut feeling I always knew you and id be two of the lucky ones!

Enjoy this day and every day forward! So many congrats to you on your first year! That gold coin looks great!
Old 04-30-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Well done Dolly.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations! And thanks for this moving and incredibly inspiring post.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I gotta say, your post got me more than a little choked up. Very poignant. Congratulations, Dolly.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Great post, and congratulations!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
So very beautiful!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dollyangel, what a heart warming post!
I'm very happy for you. Congratulations on a wonderful milestone!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations Doly! What a blessed share. I believe nothing in God's world happens by mistake. I also think the Angel part of your name is really your Grandmother. They never truly leave us.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think the pearl that survived is you! Congratulations!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Rar

Beautiful and inspiration post. Congratulations on your sobriety milestone.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Wow. What a cool post! Calls for a naked twerk !!!! WhooooooHoooooo. I love that. I want to find something to wear on my 90 day anniversary!!! Great idea. Thanks. And congrats!
Gotta go find my clothes now.....