Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

What do you do about the overwhelming depression? (if you had it)

Notices

Old 04-30-2014, 12:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm on day 3 sober

Today I woke up with overwhelming feelings/thoughts like "the world is too cruel, screw it all, im off soon" + "deep down, I'm a bad person" + "this is just too much.. drinking will fix it instantly"

I know I should not trust depressive thoughts
And I know I must and will not drink
I will endure it

I just really really hope it gets better very soon

If you recognise this depression, what did you do/think to make it a bit better?
Old 04-30-2014, 12:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mackrellen

I went to my Dr.

I think there's a point when things can get too dark and onerous for us to deal with without help.

I felt like I was in the middle of a vast black sea...

I needed someone on the shore, with that outside perspective, to help guide me into safe harbour...

D
Old 04-30-2014, 12:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Mac, you didn't mention if you are taking antidepressants.
I am. That deep depression, for me; lifts a little each day. I am 17 days, and feel so much more optimistic about the future. Definitely see a Dr. If you need moral support, and accountability, you have come to the right place. Welcome!
Old 04-30-2014, 01:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StormiNormi View Post
Hey Mac, you didn't mention if you are taking antidepressants.
I'm not. I want to, but the psych-doctor said "no I can't give you a magic pill.. your depression is caused by alcohol, just stop drinking"

I have a new appointment this friday, will ask her again
Maybe show her all the negative things I have written to vent
Old 04-30-2014, 01:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Perhaps my doc is right
Abstinence Can Lift Drinking-Induced Depression | Psych Central News
Old 04-30-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

A little bit of depression is certainly common - intense depression, suicidal thoughts, or intense self hatred tho, is another thing.

It's your call of course mackrellen.

D
Old 04-30-2014, 02:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am closing in on 6 months sobriety and am really getting SAD. I can deal with the mess I have made of my life and others, but when I try to talk to the AA people around me, I get cut off before I can ask a question or even an agreement. I am pretty isolated and have to do a lot of online work, but is this normal? I am happy to shut up and listen and I really am learning a lot, but I feel that I am getting lost from myself. I am just so sad and lonely. Any ideas?
Old 04-30-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Makrellen: For"overwhelming depression" I found that the following helped: (1) Saw my doctor for an effective antidepressant, (2) try to live in the "now", and lessen regrets or shame about the past, because the past is over , and lessen fears about the future, for the future is uncertain and has not yet become the "now", (3) find someone else with depression similar to yours, reach out and help them, pick them and pick yourself a flower; seek the sun and the stars by night. Happiness will come to you. Sadness will pass and you will once more believe in yourself. It is there. Reach for it.

W.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
try to live in the "now", and lessen regrets or shame about the past, because the past is over , and lessen fears about the future, for the future is uncertain and has not yet become the "now"
W.
Yes, thank you.. This is excactly what I have realized I must practice much more
Eckhart Tolle is very good on some points
Old 04-30-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I tried to make positive changes to get some momentum going and to keep me busy (running, weightlifting, eating a proper diet, attending church choir with my parents, setting goals for my musical hobby). I think this is what normal people do with their time, it seems to work out alright.

I have read that running is statistically as effective (roughly) as antidepressant therapy for treating depression.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

I work the 12 steps. Amazing changes happened to me.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What do you do about overwhelming depression?

Good morning all hope everyones doing ok. My depression has hit an all-time high, recently relapsing after 10+ years without a drink. Pain has alot to do with me now, physical and mental. Ive worked hard for along time but now I can barely work part time. Im on the edge of losing it, but im now 153 days clean, and I smile as much as I can everyday It helps, it makes others feel better, and in turn makes me feel a bit better. The pain is still there but staying positive is the key(and staying sober). So I just wanted you to know your not alone.....our fellowship in recovery is a very strong force and all will be well. Have a good day everyone!
Old 04-30-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hang in there, come what may. As the saying goes, don't drink, even if your a**e falls off!

Really identify with how you're feeling. The first two months of my recovery, I was very, very low. Now, saying that lasted two months, may not give you hope, on reflection, but what I'm trying to say is that this does pass, and these feelings could be attributable to alcoholic thinking and not depression. Mine were, though it may be different for you.

As per Sugarbear's suggestion, getting on with the steps in AA helped me immeasurably, and continues to do so. I don't feel as bad today as I did two months in, it really did get better.

Be gentle with yourself too...Rome wasn't built in a day. Every day not drinking is a successful one, no matter what my thoughts, or head tells me.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had to finally get help from the doctor for some medication,it's helped me a lot actually.But I would just recommend talking to your doctor. All the best
Old 04-30-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Mack, overwhelming depression that lasts more than a few days does need treatment. If it's just one day, every now and then, you might be able to ride it out. Deep depression of any length, with suicidal ideation can tip you into a self-perpetuating state.
Mention your suicidal thoughts to your doctor.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pcm54 View Post
I am closing in on 6 months sobriety and am really getting SAD. I can deal with the mess I have made of my life and others, but when I try to talk to the AA people around me, I get cut off before I can ask a question or even an agreement. I am pretty isolated and have to do a lot of online work, but is this normal? I am happy to shut up and listen and I really am learning a lot, but I feel that I am getting lost from myself. I am just so sad and lonely. Any ideas?
PCM, sometimes when I'm lonely I remind myself that while I FEEL lonely, I am not ALONE. Loneliness is a feeling, or a perception, brought about usually by irrational or unhelpful thoughts. Change the thoughts and you change the feeling. Remind yourself that you are not alone. You have the support of many, and although many may be people online, they are still people...people who know what you're going through and who care. I live in a suburb of a major metropolitan city and I often still feel lonely. Try to think happy thoughts, and be proud of your accomplishments. There is a lot of goodness in the world. You are a miracle and extremely loved by your Creator. Your Creator wants you to love and be kind to yourself just as much as he/she/it loves you. You may feel lonely but you are not alone.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Changing my thoughts

yep, Snowflake, you are so right! I have a tendency to let others dictate my feelings and I am hyper-sensitive to criticism (duh!!). I really am listening to you all here and decided to take back my happy. Just because I am new to recovery doesn't mean I can't be happy today, does it? So, I am thinking about adding a water element to my garden....
Old 05-01-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Had I not gone to my Doctor eventually for help for my depression I would not be here today. It's a serious debilitating condition that is rarely understood or taken seriously enough and it's not something you can just snap out of.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been on antiD's for a long time. But when I was drinking they didn't help at all. Now that I'm sober they work properly and I'm much less depressed.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm afraid to start on anti-depressants for fear of another drug I have to withdraw from. But I know it's helpful and very necessary for other people. I think I've got some depression but it's not debilitating - and it's mostly linked to my opiate addiction. I know I'll naturally be happier once I finish my taper on May 23rd and I'll be totally sober. Then I just have to stay sober. One day at a time. Today I need to only take seven. Seven. I can do it.