Notices

Psychiatrist app.....

Old 04-29-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Psychiatrist app.....

I thought (and still do) trying something new in sobriety is a fine idea. Going to the psychiatrist is not exactly what I thought it was. I have never been to one. Today was the second app. First visit, he asked the questions mostly. Today was not productive in my mind. I expected to try to figure out why I ever drank. Today we talked about my Alaska trip. Whoop. He didn't tell me anything I didn't know. I think my expectations were too high? Any experience out there....
Old 04-29-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think a lot of it is about finding the right psychiatrist. I once had a guy who started at me for 50 min unblinkingly while I just talked at him. He never offered feedback. That was not helpful. My most recent psychiatrist, however, was really great and she was really good at picking through my justifications for my behaviors and pointing them out to me. Unfortunately I moved out of state and have yet to find someone new that clicks.

Also, not all sessions are always "productive" in terms of doing the hard work of figuring out your substance abuse. Sometimes the casual Alaska conversations are just as useful in terms of figuring out how best to communicate with you.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a good counsellor will take a little time to get to know you, learn your background and try and look holistically at the context in which you drank Raider.

I wouldn't write it off after just two appointments, but that's just my opinion...

D
Old 04-29-2014, 09:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hey Raider.

Not all psychiatrists are trained in psychotherapy, though many act as though they are.

If you're seeing your psychiatrist for medication alone, and he or she has not specifically offered to work with you in psychotherapy, then you're technically not in therapy. A session of psychotherapy typically runs forty-five minutes or more. A typical appointment with a psychiatrist can be up to an hour at first, but then drops to just a few minutes or more with decreasing frequency for the sole purpose of evaluating how the patient is responding to medication.

In the end, discussing your concerns with your healthcare provider will enhance your therapeutic relationship. You may even get the answers you seek.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No he hasn't offered psychotherapy. Yes exactly like you said, first app was an hour, today maybe 20 minutes. His card says, "Diplomate American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology", whatever that is. What is that??

My healthcare provider thought I would benefit from talking to a Psychiatrist. Hmmmmm
Old 04-29-2014, 10:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
No he hasn't offered psychotherapy. Yes exactly like you said, first app was an hour, today maybe 20 minutes. His card says, "Diplomate American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology", whatever that is. What is that??

My healthcare provider thought I would benefit from talking to a Psychiatrist. Hmmmmm
It means he's met and has maintained at least the minimum requirements to be certified in his specializations by the ABPN. In other words, he's likely got training above and beyond what was required in medical school, but there's nothing in this designation that suggests he's trained in psychotherapy.

Healthcare providers and civilians often toss around designations that have specific meaning as though they refer to the same kind of work, e.g., 'psychiatrist', 'psychologist', and 'therapist'.

I always recommend due diligence before someone sees whomever he or she will see.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Raider I wouldn't worry if today didn't feel productive, this guy doesn't know you at all, he'd have to get some background.

Can I tell you something funny? When I read the thread title I thought you'd found a psychiatric app for tablet computers.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

I thought it was an app as well. I'm looking for someone to talk too, and actually want to avoid meds if possible but the information on Google is a mountain. I thought Oh an app might help!

I see your healthcare provider the suggestion, did they also do a referral? A twenty minute session is next? Ask some of your concerns next session. I know I got shy and that led me to trying something for much too long.

I'm thinking finding good one on one support is going to take work and I'm going to maybe try a few people/appointments to find someone who clicks.

Raider, I'll be very interested in how your journey works out.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Raider, like others suggested above, I would also say give him maybe a couple more chances to see if the sessions are helpful for you. Also, if you are seeing him for substance abuse primarily and your goal is to figure out the reasons you drank, maybe also direct the conversation this way, not by being pushy of course or questioning his method, but maybe be direct with him and proactive (like like we always say being proactive on recovery is the best way to go).

Is this the guy that told you in the first appointment that he also had alcohol problems? Honestly, I found that a bit odd in the first session... not to sound negative and no need to analyze this; give him more chance and you'll see where it goes.

I have worked with a few psychiatrists who have special interest in drug and alcohol abuse; I mean we collaborated for work, not me as a patient (I never saw any for my own problems). My general impression was that most of them were not really into more holistic approaches and trying to understand or help understand the problem in a complex, personalized way. Despite of the fact that in psychiatry nowadays the norm and general view is pretty strongly tending towards the idea of "individualized medicine". It's just not always (usually?) clear for them how to approach that in the clinic... which is no one's fault, it's a big challenge.

All in all, really just go see him a couple more times and if you feel the conversation is not going the way it's useful to you, try to direct it a bit, ask him what you would like and perhaps even if he could give you a little more time. You can go from there then.

I'm looking for a therapist myself (not a psychiatrist) and I feel I'm being quite picky researching them and asking lots of questions. Just had a rather long phone convo with staff in one of the programs I'm interested in. I think that probably some people (many?) would get annoyed by a prospective patient being so inquisitive even before starting, but not this lady on the phone - she sounded genuinely interested in discussing all my concerns and pretty knowledgeable. That was a good sign for me as a start, but we'll see.

Good luck to you and let us know how it goes!
Old 04-30-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I saw a cognitive behavior therapist (CBT) for about 6 months, and I found it helpful. It took me several attempts to find the right one. The first few were wasting my time. Perseverance paid off for me.

Good Luck!
Old 04-30-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Today was not productive in my mind. I expected to try to figure out why I ever drank....
Does it matter why?
Old 04-30-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Does it matter why?
For many in early recovery I think understanding or developing an idea is useful. For most recovery is about starting to find yourself I think. Existential plight.

For me understanding the underlying mental issues is quite helpful in how I repeat trauma and put myself in certain circumstances destined for failure. This helps me be more conscious and mindful so I can break the cycle.

If quitting drinking was as easy as just putting down the drink recovery rates would be much higher and rehabs would be much less profitable. At some point though staying in your head for too long can have diminishing returns for growth.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Raider, I would try a psychotherapist, not a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist focuses on psychopharmacology, not therapy. That's why your first appointment was for an hour -- to see what drugs he thinks might help you -- followed by a 20 minute appointment, which is simply to gauge how the medication is working.

Most psychotherapists have PhD and are not medical doctors.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I

Any experience out there....
Many years back I made some office visits
he prescribed more stronger drugs
than what I was buying on the streets

seemed all he cared about
was that I keep coming back

MM
Old 04-30-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If you are not there for meds, you may benefot from a therapist, instead. They are more about the talking. It was wonderful for my daughter when she had a bout of depression.

I saw a psychiatrist for anxiety, because I needed meds. She was rather dry, to the point, logical, but helpful. No warm fuzzies, but we did talk and her style was helpful for teaching me to chill out about many of my anxious thoughts.

But, as with any relationship, not all are a good fit. A therapist or psichiatrist is a rather forced relationship, and it may take meeting a couple, or a few to click. I would certainly give it more than 2 sessions.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Raider, my psychiatrist specializes in dealing with addicts and the families of. He has not touched any of my medications (although he could). I have found him to be much more of a therapist than a psychiatrist.

I too think it is just finding the right person. It's no huge commitment to any one of them, if you don't like one, try out another. Ask around from different people. Call the medical board in your town if there is one. Those people that work there are often a wealth of information.

Good Luck, glad you are working on you!
Old 04-30-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I'll try a few more times. Maybe for me, the why is not important. I don't know. Anyway love ya' bunches.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Raider, just one more thought that occurred to me reading your thread, what might be interesting to explore if your interest in NOT primarily to analyze and understand the "why" and the most likely complicated network of phenomena behind your drinking, which, as of now, is already in the past... Are you someone who likes to make plans and figure out the potential in things, including yourself?

If this rings true a bit, perhaps look into approaches in the "existential psychotherapy" area. I am not a clinical person, but this is something I've been interested in for a long time...and now I am interested in exploring something like that for myself as a patient...

Based on the impressions I'm getting on your from your posts, not sure this would be the right approach for you, just an idea to maybe look up?
Old 04-30-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Raider,

Interesting post. I've been trying to get referred to a psych for a couple of years now and it's only recently I've actually made an progress with it. Been told it could take sometime such is the glorious NHS.

I think you should stick with it for a little while yet. As it is a very 'forced relationship' it might take a little while until you find someone you are comfortable with. I've had the same experiences with Docs. Some are great and really helpful in terms of mental health, I've seen some others who just fire more anti depressants at me and send me on my way however.

Good luck
Old 04-30-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I see a really good shrink. He also specializes in addiction. I am lucky to have him in my corner. Give it more time.