Notices

Feel out of step with the world

Old 04-29-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feel out of step with the world

Today was just a really crappy day.

Everyday I feel like I don't belong. My mother told me again tonight that "you're not normal" and "that people are sniggering at you behind your back"...

I know that I am not the life and soul of the party, and never will be but now at 33 years old and almost 6 months sober I have accepted that, and I like it this way. It is after 10 pm and it's my favourite time - I am in my room doing some reading and it's "me time". I am making arrangements for next week, meet my friends for dinner and a movie.

What is "normal" anyway? And who are these people? My new motto is "what other people think of me is none of my business".

These days I try to take the above as a compliment. When I was back in college last year, there was a foreign guy in my class and he said to me on the class night out that he liked me a lot because "you are a sweet and simple girl...you're not a high maintenance drama queen like most Irish women"!!

I just told my mom that I think she is wrong...and that I think I am a pretty good person. It feels quite odd because I've never said that before...
Old 04-29-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love that you are reframing your mom's words as a compliment. I also think your motto is wonderful.

Go, Tetra, go!
Old 04-29-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stay strong, tetra. It would be such a boring world if we were carbon copies of some idealistic human being or if we had cookie-cutter existences.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
"you are a sweet and simple girl...you're not a high maintenance drama queen like most Irish women"!!
Haha this made me smile!!

Exactly Tetra, who are these "normal" people, everyone has a different personality, so there's no normal, there's individuals!!

Be yourself, and at the end of the day people will always have their opinions as there's no escaping people being judgemental in life, from our tastes in music, to the way we look, to every little part of life someone can have an opinion on, people can disagree or not like something . . . but that doesn't make them right.

I heard a saying a while back “There is always 3 sides to every story, Your side, Their side and the TRUTH.”

We can get down over people's opinions of us, but their opinion and how harshly we come down on ourselves is equally false, and so far from the truth!!
Old 04-29-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Just have your mom hang around here Tetra, then she might think you are normal or better than normal.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Today was just a really crappy day.

Everyday I feel like I don't belong. My mother told me again tonight that "you're not normal" and "that people are sniggering at you behind your back"...

I know that I am not the life and soul of the party, and never will be but now at 33 years old and almost 6 months sober I have accepted that, and I like it this way. It is after 10 pm and it's my favourite time - I am in my room doing some reading and it's "me time". I am making arrangements for next week, meet my friends for dinner and a movie.

What is "normal" anyway? And who are these people? My new motto is "what other people think of me is none of my business".

These days I try to take the above as a compliment. When I was back in college last year, there was a foreign guy in my class and he said to me on the class night out that he liked me a lot because "you are a sweet and simple girl...you're not a high maintenance drama queen like most Irish women"!!

I just told my mom that I think she is wrong...and that I think I am a pretty good person. It feels quite odd because I've never said that before...
Never ever worry about not being normal by not drinking or being the life of the party, I tried that many times worked well till I had just the right amount of beer and JD in me, then in an instant I became "instant a**hole , just add alcohol"! Now when I go out not drinking I get asked how things are going and other I think normal conversations. Don't have to be told how horrible I was and I am proud of that! As far as others that do and can drink, time makes those foolish , "oh your not going to have a drink", or "just a few won't bother you" , go away ! And actually you are a pretty good person, forget what others think or say! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 04-29-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

sorry double post
Old 04-29-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hey, Tetra.

Normal...I believe I never belonged to this ephemeral club either...

I like your new vision. Yes, take it as a compliment.

And, maybe there is another word for being "not normal". How about "special"?

You are walking your unique journey. And that takes some guts, and deserves some respect.

Keep your chin up.

And best wishes to you)
Old 04-29-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you Tetra

D
Old 04-29-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Love this! Lately when I get upset by something that someone says, I'll silently repeat "that is not about me". I don't think for one second that anyone is snickering behind your back. That's not about you, it's about your mother, and good on you for standing up for yourself!
Old 04-29-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ditto!
Old 04-29-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I'm strange, wierd, and a little off. You know what? I like me just the way I am. I have many people like me to and the people who don't seem to be the ones trying to be someone they aren't
Old 04-29-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Mothers (fathers too but mother/daughter is fraught with specific tensions and conflicts) have such power to hurt us.

I'm glad you defended yourself and I love your new motto. I could use that motto more of myself, so I thank you for that.

I think the best thing for you, and I don't know if it is feasible, is to move away (travel if you can even!) from your mom/family. You will learn so much about yourself and find such strength. I lived in Australia for a year in my 35th year; it was such a wonderful experience and taught me so much about myself without that burden that family can sometimes be for us nearby. Move out/away…create your own life!
Old 04-29-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Tetra, you are perfect just as you are.

Please don't let someone else's BS cloud your self perception... and by the way - you are not "pretty good" - you are spectacular!
Old 04-29-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

rejoice - yes embrace our geek/freak sides. "watch out for the quiet ones" people say - and ha ha to them....keep smiling so people will wonder what you're up to...dance to your own tune and toot your own horn once in a while just to PROVE you don't care. And LIVING WELL IS THE BEST REVENGE to your nay-sayers.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Hey Tetra
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Value You.jpg (43.8 KB, 74 views)
Old 04-29-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I just told my mom that I think she is wrong
I think she is wrong, too. Good job!!!
Old 04-30-2014, 05:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Tetra; Your mom seems to go out of her way quite frequently to say hurtful things either to you or about you. Good for you for not buying her baggage.

Have you thought of talking to your Gran about maybe moving more permanently in with her, at least for awhile?
You might have more opportunity in the city for jobs, and it seems like your mom cuts you down just when you are in a solid positive space.

It's just a thought. I think you are doing really well and are a thoughtful, sensitive person.

My mother was also always threatened by the fact I did my own thing not like so called "normal people" too, such as reading in my room instead of going to social events and such.
You are who you are, and that is terrific.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Tetra, just remembered one my fav moovies, and thought about your thread.

I am doing boxing now, so decided to re-watch One Million Dollar Baby. There's a dialogue between the main character, Maggie who is a female boxer, and her mother.

Maggie's mother lives on welfare, and sister cheats on welfare pretending one of her kids is still alive. Finally Maggie saves up enough of her winnings to buy her mother a house, but instead of being grateful, she berates Maggie for endangering her welfare payments and Medicaid benefits.

The mother:

"Find a man, Mary M.

Live proper.

People hear about what you're doing and they laugh.

Hurts me to tell you, but they laugh at you."

I just love how the screenwriter put the words "Live proper" in the mouth of the woman who's cheating on welfare and considers herself normal.

Keep your chin up, Tetra)
Old 04-30-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

(((Tetra)))....way to go on 6 months!!!