Notices

Day 60

Old 04-29-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 60

Today is Day 60 of sobriety, and that makes me happy. 61 days ago I had no idea I was having my last drinks. In the earliest days of sobriety when I was fighting cravings I would so much admire people with 30+ days of sobriety and wonder how they ever got there.

A reflection at 60 days: I have this deep sense that my alcoholism hasn't gone away. It has just gone dormant and if I were to drink again it would pick up right there where I was 61 days ago. That's both scary and motivating.

I pop in and read posts here several times a day but will be offline until next Sunday. I'm visiting the U.S. and today am starting a 4 day road trip from Mississippi to Wyoming. I am in very good company that will keep me accountable during the trip, so that is my new plan for the next several days. Today will be a stop in St. Louis to visit the Gateway Arch. I will still be on SR in spirit and keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by Lance40 View Post
Today is Day 60 of sobriety, and that makes me happy. 61 days ago I had no idea I was having my last drinks. In the earliest days of sobriety when I was fighting cravings I would so much admire people with 30+ days of sobriety and wonder how they ever got there.

A reflection at 60 days: I have this deep sense that my alcoholism hasn't gone away. It has just gone dormant and if I were to drink again it would pick up right there where I was 61 days ago. That's both scary and motivating.

I pop in and read posts here several times a day but will be offline until next Sunday. I'm visiting the U.S. and today am starting a 4 day road trip from Mississippi to Wyoming. I am in very good company that will keep me accountable during the trip, so that is my new plan for the next several days. Today will be a stop in St. Louis to visit the Gateway Arch. I will still be on SR in spirit and keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
First Congratulations on 60 days! That is Great!
Just remember the statement about it going dormant, don't get complacent.
It's good to have people to help you stay sober. Have a great time.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You go Lance Congrats on your 60 mark! All of us on SR are wishing you well! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 04-29-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's great Lance. Congratulations on your 60 days! I really like the 'dormant' reference. It is so true.
Enjoy your time and have fun. I don't know if it's too late for you. The first time I crossed the missipi I had to get out and put my foot in the water. A weird kinda ceremony for me - I also pd in the missipi. . One of those things ya know. I hope you had a chance for some of the great bar-b-q places around there. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy!
Old 04-29-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing! I'm on day 47 myself and i feel that way too! The alcoholism is definitely still there. I'm constantly reminded every day by myself, my aa group, and my mom's wine bar in the dining room. I know if i were to pick up a drink right now it would be physically and emotionally devistating for me. Better tho stay on the water wagon and work through problems than to give in to my disease. It really is dis ease.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Lance!!! Enjoy your trip to the USA.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on sixty days sober!
Old 04-29-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Arthur Conan Doyle once wrote something similar about Sherlock Holme's cocaine addiction.

I can't remember the precise phrasing, but it went something like this: "He wasn't healed. The addiction was simply lying dormant. At any moment, he sensed, it could reawaken and return."

This is not a curable condition. It is a manageable one, however.

Congratulations and good luck.