Notices

Can you call your sponsor too much?

Old 04-28-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can you call your sponsor too much?

I'm feeling down today. I just started my sponsorship yesterday. I'm not sure how it works yet. I'm supposed to call my sponsor every Tuesday so now i feel like if i call her today What will i say tomorrow?and i don't want to start calling all the time either. I'm not in any danger to pick up today i don't think. Do i still call even tho It's only because I'm feeling bad? She's not supposed to be a counselor. just help guide me through the steps.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you going to AA meetings, Kellygurl? If so, ask for phone numbers. Those who add their names to the list expect to be called, and want to help. You can call them ANYTIME. Do find a Sponsor, in the early days, it is good to check in everyday,until you get your sobriety legs underneath you. Keep reaching out for help, that is why the programme works.

Last edited by StormiNormi; 04-28-2014 at 09:08 AM. Reason: spell fix
Old 04-28-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

the way i see it, until your sponsor has a good idea of how you tick and your defects and triggers you should be calling them everytime you feel you need to call them.
this is how they learn about you.

i call mine at least twice a day and i have been calling her for years.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

Yes call her.If you are feeling down I am sure she will want to know.

Also getting other ladies phone numbers is an excellent idea,build up a network of ladies you can call.

Once in AA you should never have to deal with any problems alone.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I used to talk to my sponsor every day (we were also friends). Just call her even if it is just to leave a voice mail saying "hey I wanted to say hi and check in: still sober here. How are you doing?".
You ll know you are calling her too much when she starts blocking your number and gets a restraining order against you >joking<
Old 04-30-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

and remember that your sponsor needs to talk to you too. They might be having an off day
Old 04-30-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I first got my sponsor, I called any time I felt like talking about something. Which was often several times a day. I think that's pretty much par for the course. In the nine months I've been sponsored we worked all the steps, he would spend hours with me, often staying at my house until midnight or later.

I think it's best if you have a sponsor who will give you as much time as you need while you are in early recovery.

Nowadays I only speak to my sponsor every three or four days. More often if I feel a need.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Its important to get to meetings and make some acquaintances even if you only see them at the meetings. I didn't call my sponsor every day but must have been a few times a week with the offer that i could call when needed. I would talk to your sponsor and see what they say?
Old 04-30-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with Carlotta. I called my sponsor everyday. Sometimes she answered, sometimes she didn’t.

If she didn’t, I left a message to say I was okay or I was not okay. She always called me back if I said I had an issue and after a while she called when I said I didn’t because she could hear it in my voice that something was off.

I don’t call her everyday now. I do see her every Monday and now and then I stop in her shop. If I am having an issue I stick closer to her. She is my support and she needs to know what is going on. I can’t expect her to read my mind. I also value and respect her opinion. She has never told me straight out what to do but she will suggest I try something or to look at something differently.

They are there to help and guide you. Use them.

Would you wonder around in the dark with a flashlight that works but you are worried about using? It is easier to turn it on and have it light the way then fumble around in the dark.