Notices

greiving process?

Old 04-28-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy greiving process?

I'm confused right now. 46 days in and I've noticed my cravings for alcohol are gone. The mental cravings are still there from time to time. Someone mentioned in a meeting that they were told they were going through the stages of grief much like the loss of a best friend. Is that what's happening for me? I keep thinking to myself, "where did my cravings go?" I kind of miss them. Now I'm going around and around in my head trying to figure out why i feel this way. Its making me feel like i have a weight on my head and shoulders. I don't like this. Help?
Old 04-28-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Kellygurl, glad you are working things out with the sponsor, be patient.

When I was in rehab I had to write a "Dear John" letter to alcohol. Saying goodbye to a dear old friend is tough. Some people react differently. For me it was almost a life time of turning to alcohol for everything. It is what I was programmed to do. Now I don't have it to fall back on. But I know it's still there waiting for me if I decide to go back. I can sort of equate to a time when an old girlfriend and I broke it off. It was over, there were no doubts about it. But I still looked for her when I was out - not stalking or anything weird like that. But if I saw her car in the parking lot I would 'bump' into her at the store and have a quick chit-chat. That went on for a few months but eventually it just faded away and never became a thought. Alcohol for some has that same effect. Just don't get caught up in the feelings - 'this too shall pass'. Hope this helped.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Kelly - when I was in the grieving process I wasn't having cravings per se. It was closer to reliving a memory from a long time ago that is no longer attainable. I was selectively remembering the good times, and glorifying them in my mind. At the time I wouldn't be actively thinking about using in the present, which is why I wouldn't characterize it as a craving. I was accepting the fact that I wasn't going to use and I was going to live life on it's own terms.

To be honest, I question whether the grieving process was helpful to me or not. It reminded me of using, and it was a distorted memory that wasn't reality.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. Day 37 for me. I can relate to your post. I feel so sad sometimes - like something is missing from my life. I do get cravings from time to time - not as much as in the beginning, but every time I put myself in a situation where I see a drink (well, white wine in particular) it comes on like a freight train.
And it isn't so much that I crave the alcohol per se, it is more that I just MISS the drunk. Which makes me even more sad, because God knows I have everything to lose if I pick up again.

But I try to keep plugging along. I make the phone calls, I pray, I go to meetings. Last night as I sat in my car after a meeting, I was crying because I just miss drinking so much. The speakers at the meeting seem so happy, so put together, and talk about how their obsession was lifted and I can't help but thing "what am I doing wrong? why can't I get past this?"

I think your grieving process theory makes a lot of sense.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know I went through the "Grief" process. It was totally real. When I made the decision to quit...I mean to really quit, at any cost, to get help. I started to feel the grief feelings very soon after. It literally felt like I lost a very close friend or family member. It felt this way for a while and even now, almost 4 months in, I still get that feeling sometimes.