Notices

21 days sober

Old 04-27-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

21 days sober

Today is Sunday. I will not have a drink today. But Sunday is the one day of the week I find the hardest. Through my life it has meant a day of feasting and drinking with friends and family, which I don't do anymore. Family are a long way away and I don't seem to have any friends who don't drink.
I feel lost and alone, almost like bereavement. It doesn't make me want to drink though. Which I am grateful for.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Old 04-27-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Quitting is a process and grieving the loss of alcohol is part of it. Good news is that alcohol was never a friend or an ally. Keep busy today, do something nice for yourself and pat yourself on the back for 21 days!! It gets easier....
Old 04-27-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yay - newviv, we are celebrating our 21 days together!!!

The feeling of being lost and alone, I think we all understand. But, I believe even prior to our alcoholism, we would have these same feelings, as well. Maybe not at the same time or same day of the week. But, they would be there. That's human nature. But, what's nice about finding a way to cope with this when it happens, and doing so sober, that once you are through it, you feel way better than diving into a bottle. The rewarding feeling from tackling it sober, is monumental. I've fallen so many times because of those feelings, and it's just not worth it.

Do you have a support group of any kind? That was my biggest mistake is not having something along with SRF to offer that extra boost needed during the "down" times.

Most of our friends drink, too. But that is their choice. My choice is to not drink. If they are truly your friends, they will understand. Do your friends know of what you are doing? If so, do you have one that you can have support you during these times - one that you can reach out to? That was asked of me so many times, and now I know why. It really helps.

Congratulations on your day 21 - and these feelings will pass.

Have a wonderful, sober day!
Old 04-27-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

congratulations newviv
Old 04-27-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done!

I'm sure you will make new friends, healthy friends at some point. Try to go to places that people don't drink?
Old 04-27-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks so much. Lovely to know someone else in exactly the same place as me. x
Old 04-27-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Still feeling my way around on here. If I don't or am not allowed to reply personally yet, please forgive.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

newviv, are you in any groups where you live? If so get to know the people there and maybe some will want a day of feasting and drinking with friends, non-alcohol of course.

You can do it, power through.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome newviv.

Giving up drinking is like a bereavement for a lot of people. My relationship with alcohol was one of the longest relationships of my life. My life revolved around alcohol.

When you take that away, it can be a huge adjustment.
Losing drinking buddies can be painful too

But we do rebuild our lives and we do start new friendships that reflect this new life and the person we are becoming.

It takes time tho.

Why not plan to do something next sunday? - go for a walk, see a movie, any thing you like really, so long as it doesn't involve alcohol

D
Old 04-27-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's normal to grieve for alcohol when you quit drinking. You might feel sad and lost for a while but the longer you're sober, the better you'll feel.

Congrats on 21 days sober!