Notices

more sobriety under my belt

Old 04-26-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

more sobriety under my belt

under one's belt: safely or satisfactorily achieved, experienced, or acquired.

It's been just over a week since my last drink. I'm starting to feel really good sooner than expected.
This time, I'm thinking about AA. It would be my first "real attempt at AA" as the previous times were (1) court ordered (went to meetings during the day and still had my cocktails at night and discontinued once I completed my penance, and (2) a desperate attempt that became a farse after the first meeting, attending morning meetings with tremored hands followed by drinking as soon as the meeting ended, and eventually discontinuing attendance after about 2-3 weeks.

However, I keep telling myself that I'd like to get more sobriety under my belt; more than just a week and a couple days. Absurd, I agree.
In the past I shied away from AA even when sober for a couple months because I am not a group person. Nor am I a religious person.

Now I am consciously considering the benefits of AA, of course assisting in maintaining my sobriety, but also the social aspects. Yes, having been, well not "through the ropes before" but I guess sort of "in the ropes before" of AA, I can say that AA can be considered socializing. It can be intellectually stimulating as well as emotionally.

I also know what it is like to be the newbie, especially if you are a relapsed, returning newbie, with only a week plus of sobriety. It's as if I want to go in already having proven myself a "more mature sober alcoholic" than in the past. Not that the members have or need any of these expectations for acceptance. It's about me and my own insecurities.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Enjoy your time of feeling good. It's a roller coaster out here. But you know that.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I would suggest getting to a meeting sooner rather than later. My wife and I are very solitary, and both atheists. But we found meetings to be an essential part of recovery.

Most folks who have completed the program of AA are very sensitive to the needs of newcomers, and are ready to provide the extra support you need now.