Notices

First (and unexpected) Test - night 3

Old 04-25-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First (and unexpected) Test - night 3

It's (only) night 3 for me. Trying to make this story short. My hubby has had a really tough and depressing week at work. We've talked only so far as to cut out wine for a bit, for me. I know he will still enjoy his craft beers occasionally (I'm 100% sure he has no issue - he can have none, one or two but he is a beer snob).

He was picking up a pizza for us and the kids tonight; I figured he'd pick up his weekend six pack. What does he bring home with the pizza but a bottle of red merlot. Because he got the pizza from a different place not near the grocery but right next to a liquor store.

I saw the bottle and felt my heart race. My head was spinning with voices. Angry, tempted. Then strong and willful. It was like I was two different people having an argument.

LUCKILY my plan was originally that I was driving 45 min to stay overnight at my parents house to run a 5k in the morning. But voice one said bag that, crash here and enjoy some wine with hubby. It's only a small bottle, you can each have two glasses, that won't do anything. You can drive to the race in the morning!

Voice 2 said, pour a glass of water with your pizza, and then get on the road. Get a good nights sleep and run your race without a hangover.

In hubby's defense I haven't talked to him about my plan. He just thinks if I don't want any for the calories or whatever then don't pour a glass. Easy. Cork it and save for dinner guests. So I know I need to talk to him. Honestly.

Well, I packed up and drove off, after my water, according to plan. Listened to my own music and enjoyed the solo drive. I just couldn't believe I sat there and was able to stare that bottle down and walk away. So early on. But it also made me realize - someone that was a normal drinker would not have had a near panic attack seeing it, or thought through the scenario over and over since then.

I'm left feeling proud, but nervous about what's left in that bottle tomorrow night when I'm home. Cause I know he would have had maybe 2 glasses if that. I actually think I will be ok. It's almost as if I was panicking that my first test was happening, instead of thinking I actually wanted to drink. But we will need to talk.

Anyway thanks for listening, if you kept up. Headed to bed, sober - day 4 tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You did good! Good luck with your race tomorrow and don't hesitate to pour out the remainder of the wine if it starts calling your name!
Old 04-25-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

great job, enjoy your 5K
Old 04-25-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice!
In my experience, talking to your closest friend/spouse will do you well. I know I tend to keep certain secrets to myself in situations like yours because it's an easy out for when the craving to drink becomes a juggernaut, and you just cannot say "no" anymore. We cave to our impulses and have to start all over again. I promise, in time it does get easier. Being honest with your husband should definitely help alleviate some future stressors and anxiety, I think.
I hope you race goes well. Stay hydrated!
Let us know how it's going!
Old 04-25-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Good choice AppleKat Great going on day 3 & enjoy your run tomorrow. Let us know how it went. Poor it out when you get home...your doing great!!
Old 04-25-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AppleKat if you are fully in to this plan of leaving behind alcohol for good. You will need to tell your husband asap. If you do not tell him that you are done drinking period, then you are just leaving the door open a little bit for a relapse.

Based on what you have shared it doesn't sound like you had that talk with him yet. Are you having reservations?
Old 04-26-2014, 12:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good work! Try talking to you hubby, it will help you, but I know it is hard. Mine doesn´t see the extent of the problem anyway, he thinks after a few weeks break I an moderate...
Old 04-26-2014, 12:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I also view a bottle of wine and my head starts going nuts, I am already worrying about the second bottle before I start drinking the first. Best to be honest with everyone, I am working on that too.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welldone
Old 04-26-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You go girl!!
Old 04-26-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. No reservations. I also refused a nightcap with my dad. Fresca and ice tasted amazing. I definitely need to have a more in-depth talk!

I think in the beginning it was a "you got yourself into this mess, you can get yourself out."

Stupid! I couldn't even have gotten to day 4 without y'all at SR! Think how well I'll do with hubby on FULL board.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I am very proud of you kat, you did the right thing.
As for talking to him I am sure you can get some good advice for people here to make him understand your addiction. Plus we will be here to help give you the strength when you decide to talk with him.
Anyway you did great!!!