Notices

I dont want to....

Old 04-25-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I dont want to....

Pick up sobriety chips. I was sober for many years and relapsed. I'm sober again. I picked up my desire chip, 30 day and 60 day. My 90 days has passed and I don't want to pick it up. I know it's ego and pride!
Old 04-25-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's up to you of course Tanya....but I think you've earned it...anyone who looks down on you must have forgotten what it was like IMO...and...what if you help someone by them seeing you pick up that 90 day chip?

D
Old 04-25-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're exactly right Dee. I know it and I still don't wanna do it!! Haha. I need to remember that it's not about me
Old 04-25-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For my own personal feelings, I really don't want one until I made it a year. I got one, I forget which one it was. But until > for me < I get a whole year the chip doesn't mean anything. And by the time that year rolls around, I don't think I'll be in the chip club anymore.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by tanyapmc View Post
You're exactly right Dee. I know it and I still don't wanna do it!! Haha. I need to remember that it's not about me
I can so relate to you. I relapsed after 5 years and going back to AA and counting days and collecting chips was really like eating humble pie for me this time around. My first time, I was so happy and so proud and this time I felt "because I am an idiot who could not stay sober."
I still did it because:
a) It shows the newbies it can be done: for someone brand new seeing people with years of sobriety can be overwhelming like they ll never be able to do it but if they see you picking 90 that's a goal they feel they can achieve too.
b) It s also good if maybe there is someone else in the group fresh from a relapse and embarrassed. You made a come back and so can they.
c) My home group has the best anniversary meetings cakes (plurals!!) ever.

With over 15 months back under my belt, I feel differently about it and I m glad I did it. because picking up those darn chips is a celebration of life and of our spirit. Like the phoenix rising from its ashes, you and I made it back!!! So many do not and for that I am grateful.

Of course you can do whatever you want but if you chose to do it, rather than think of it as eating humble pie, print out that image and say to yourself:
My name is Tanya, I am an alcoholic and a phoenix

Old 04-26-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Of course you can do whatever you want but if you chose to do it, rather than think of it as eating humble pie, print out that image and say to yourself:
My name is Tanya, I am an alcoholic and a phoenix

You have just gave me an inspiration Carlotta, new way to think. A phoenix rising from the ashes I made of my life.

Thank you
Old 04-26-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that it's always good, from time to time, to stop and be proud of what we've accomplished.

I felt so much shame when I stopped drinking that there was no way I was proud of myself for finally stopping. I looked around and that others didn't drink to excess and were not alcoholics and it was 'normal'. You shouldn't be patted on the back for doing the normal, expected thing.

But, as I've moved along in recovery, I do recognize how hard it is to get sober and recover and I do stop and congratulate myself from time to time.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your replies. I'm in a meeting that's almost over and I'm going to pick up that darn chip

My name is Tanya and I'm an alcoholic and a Phoenix!!

She rises AGAIN!!

Y'all rock
Old 04-26-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Way to go Tanya, we will rise together.

P.S. didn't mean to hy-jack your thread.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

She rises AGAIN!!
Awesome!

Since we are talking about phoenixes and comebacks here is my favorite pair of phoenixes: 1 four legged and 1 human
Seabiscuit and Red Pollard