Notices

Boredom in sobriety

Old 04-25-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
OX

Boredom in sobriety

For years I would stop drinking for lent. I was far from religious but thought I could tap into the cosmic community of energy and stop for a while. I knew that the body could sure use a break from the onslaught of booze that was sure to continue at Easter.
One thing I always felt was boredom. What do normal people do? Life is boring, sobriety sucks. The last few years I have skipped the lent breaks and have had periods of hard fought sobriety interspersed with moderate drinking. Ok, heavy drinking and moderate living.
Sober now, alas only @ 10 days or so, I am not bored, I am overwhelmed. There is so much to do. So many loose ends, chores ignored, and things to do! Of course being sober does not make me ambitious or a clean freak. I am finally getting a little energy to tackle some things, but I could sure use a little Martha Stewart energy. I have always been in awe of people who can just get things done. Job, family, hobbies, and "look at this table I made from a tree I fell in Alaska last year, and taste the pate I made from ducks I shot last night."
I look around, overwhelmed, and know that I can only do so much. I used to use as an excuse. "Can't... clean, write, learn, motivate, exercise, etc. cause I'm Fxxxd up." I even use movies the same way, oh, movie just started, I'm busy.
I think they call it laziness? I have a lot of time to make up for. Cue the theme from Rocky, it's time to get a life.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used to feel that way too man, each night I didn't drink was a night wasted, each day was just a waste if I wasn't buzzing, each get together, each barbecue, each time out at a restaurant, each family trip , all a waste without my alcohol.

It took me 10 years to realize that drinking each night and day was the real waste.

the alcohol is like a claw that grips your body and clouds your mind and wont let you go, and when you finally shake it off you open your eyes and see the beautiful world.

My first morning sober I woke up went outside early and not hungover/groggy for once, and I took a very ddeeeeep breath and just took in life. I still do now.

Youll find it man, if you really want to find it you will. Even now, at night on a Friday I go jogging sometimes, and I tell myself, who would've imagined on a Friday night id be out jogging, when before I would already be drunk in my dark room possibly passed out slumped on a chair by now.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I like it.

You can get a lot more of those chores done if you pop an adderall. I joke I joke, I'm kidding. Settle down.

I just like the lighthearted and inspiring posts. Sobriety DOES NOT HAVE TO BE MISERABLE.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I can relate to pretty much everything you said, BigShoe. I used to believe life was just gonna suck if I wasn't drinking. I also write music, and I (or my AV) was convinced that alcohol made me much more creative. Here's what really happened: alcohol gave me delusions of grandeur. It created the illusion that my life was exciting, when really it was pretty boring and pathetic. Instead of writing music, I was content to sit on my ass and listen to what other people wrote, imagining I could be just as good or better. Instead of taking care of things that needed to be done, I opted to watch TV (and usually fell asleep).

I also know how overwhelmed you can get once you sober up and notice all the stuff that's been neglected. It almost feels like panic, doesn't it? I'm learning to pace myself, because feeling overwhelmed has often influenced my decision to drink again. Just as we stay sober a day at a time, we can only live life a day at a time. There is no possible way for me to catch up on the life I let slip by for the 26 years I drank nearly every day. Some of those things I might never get a chance to do, but I sure intend to make a dent in a lot of them!
Old 04-25-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

BigShoe, Relax, you're not completely fixed up yet. It will take some time. The anxiety and boredom will be there. I'm four months sober and I still have a LOT of s*** to clean up.
Focus on staying sober first. Then start cleaning up the mess you're in when you have a better handle on things. Baby steps at first.

If you are into movies look for some of the recovery movies available - definitely motivation to stay clean.

Way to go on 10 days. What are you going to do to stay that way?
Old 04-25-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I used to think I was bored. I was just confusing boredom with serenity/calm.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Like LBrain said relax, give it time baby steps. I was on pills for years and now working on 13 days clean and still have no energy. Others have gone through this and it will get better.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Boredom, some existential philosophers have posited, is an inherent part of human existence. We seek pleasure (or relief from pain) and, when we have achieved it, become "bored." We seek more pleasure. Schopenhauer called this the fundamental flaw in the universe. We are constantly seeking satisfaction and it is constantly eluding us.

Something to consider.

I, for one, find boredom almost completely intolerable and it has led me to my addictions.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Moderation in all things. Don't bite off more than you can chew. Tomorrow is another day, etc., etc., etc.

I'll add another.....don't make sobriety a chore, it's hard enough in the beginning.

So relax, if you aren't drinking, you're doing just fine